Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer LSC9355EQ1 : Leaking, Water in Gearbox!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hal_owen

hal_owen

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger Beer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

I posted previously about this same washer.

http://appliantology...lace-shaft-seal

Briefly,

1) Washer was not spinning.
2) There was a mixture of oil and water on the floor under the washer
3) Found crack in drain hose, fixed that, but still would not spin at times.
4) Found clutch contaminated with oil, which appeared to be coming from the gearbox.

Based on what I have read here and elsewhere, it looked like the shaft seal needed replacement.
Got the seal, and tonight I finally had a chance to actually start fixing the thing.
Took off the old clutch (already bought a new one).
Took off the gearbox cover.
My transmission has a bunch of water in it!
There is still a bunch of oil in there too, of course, and it wasn't making noise or anything, the washer just couldn't spin because of all the stuff on the clutch.
I dumped all the watery oil out, and I have some 90 weight gear oil to put back in, but my questions are:

a) Should I try to get every bit of the old oil and water out (brake cleaner maybe?)
B) Where is the water coming from? It was leaking from the drain hose, but would that get into the gearbox, or am I probably looking at a tub seal?
c) When I put in the new shaft seal and put the gearbox back together, how much oil does it need to have in it? Is there a way to check the level once I reseal the gearbox? Obviously I can't put oil in above the level of the cover before I seal it.
d) Any advice on replacing the tub seal? I do have a spanner and I have done it once years ago, but I am sure there is a better way than what I did.

Thanks for your help,

Hal.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

We are currently discussing that very issue in another thread - here's a look: http://appliantology...__fromsearch__1
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 hal_owen

hal_owen

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I read that thread and it answered almost all of my questions.
I am going to replace my clutch and shaft seal.
Everything else looks okay, except, I need to figure out where all the water in my gearbox came from.
I would estimate that there was close to a cup of water in there.
Is the tub seal leaking, or is there some other likely suspect?

Thanks again,

Hal

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Water comes through basket drive bearings/seals - change out seals and bearings and dump/refill transmission
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 hal_owen

hal_owen

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Water comes through basket drive bearings/seals - change out seals and bearings and dump/refill transmission

A couple of questions.

1) How hard is it to replace these seals and bearings, would I be better off just getting another Tub Base?

2) I have seen you also recommend a Basket Drive in these situations.
Does it have its own seals, does the leaking water ruin it, or is there some other reason?

Thanks, Hal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics