Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Rotozip... basically useless POS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: What to do? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I...

1. Burn it in the trash bin? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Sell it on Ebay? (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Fling it into the neighbors yard so he can finish it with the tractor? (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

A few years back I bought me one of them Rotozip tools. On the infomercial, they showed it cutting all kinds of stuff and looking generally usefull. In real life it's a pethetic, slow, weak pile of monkey dung. Every few years I drag it out for some easy project just to remind myself what a waste of money it is.

This time I was cutting a hole in a hollow core door, well I was trying to anyways. It's hollow with a 1/8' skin of plywood, but alas to much for the wonder tool to handle. By working slow and carefull, I was able to cut out almost 1/3 of my cat door project and only broke 2 bits. As usual, I curse out the foul thing and went after the Dewalt jigsaw to complete this huge project that was too much for the mighty Rotozip.

It doth truly sucketh.

Nick
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

I bought a Roto-Zip tool about 10 years ago and it worked great for the projects I had.
Be sure to use Roto-Zip bits.. not just any drill bits nor router bits.
r04039v11.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

I only ever used roto-zip bits, I still thought it was slow and weak. Mine was bought before the company was bought by Bosch. maybe that's the problem. It's not much more power than a dremel. I love my dremels, but I don't use them to cut anything except small items with the cut-off wheel.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 neurodoc

neurodoc

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Old topic. The Roto-Zip is probably an over-rated tool...because the advertizing suggests it is a sort of "do it all" routing/cutting

tool. It isn't, but I've found it good for a couple of tasks: 1) cutting electrical box openings in sheetrock; and, 2) routing out grout

and cutting openings in tiled walls when doing plumbing repairs. You need to use the correct bits (spiral for cutting box openings

in sheetrock, and carbide for the tile work). You also need to move the tool in the correct direction (opposite to the bit rotation) to

control the tool while cutting an opening). Forget about using it for cutting plywood, metal, formica, etc., as such cuts will be sloppy

and there are better tools for those applications...e.g. jig saws,trim saws, and mini-routers (I like Bosch and Porter-Cable).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics