Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Derik

Maytag Bravo washer model# loud roar during spin, tub bearing replacement

27 posts in this topic

very loud at final spin what parts do i need? sounds like a bad bearing but havnt had to repair these problem yet on the bravos, but ready to tackle it with alittle guidence!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hi Derik, I thinks you be needin' the brand-damn spankin-yankin new tub bearing kit featured in this post at my blarg ==>

I've not had the honor and pleasure of doing one of these yet, praise be to the pot-bellied, buck-toothed, cross-eyed Buddha, but some of the other masters here have and may comment on this if the bowels so move them.

Yassah, that'll work just fine!

replacing the bearings only is a very easy job... i have done about 5 of them and have them down to about 35 min in a laundry room that has room to work. add a little time for all our favorite laundry closets.

Thanks for tips!!! All is well they can wash without having to blare radio!!! They weren't happy about repair cost but was cheaper than new one!!!! So they had me do it to it!!!!!!

Didja swap out the tub ?, or pull and replace the bearings ?

Didja swap out the tub ?, or pull and replace the bearings ?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I've fallen off the edge of my seat, and I can't get up ..............

Derik. Paging Derik. White courtesy telephone, please.

Pulled and replaced bearings and bought the tool for doing so!!!! Sure I'll use it a few times and it took me bout 1 1/2 hrs from start to finish but wasn't in no rush just wanted it to be done correctly with no complications or frustration! Thanks for all the help and tips! Sure next time around I'll shave at least half hour off repair time after being familiar with disassembly!

Edited by Derik

Awesome! Good to know. Didya git any purdy pitchers?

No I didn't but how do you Copy and post pic on this site from a iPhone ???

No I didn't but how do you Copy and post pic on this site from a iPhone ???

Ahh, copy and paste from iPhone to the forum. To do this, the way I do it anyway, is first download the photo bucket app at the iTunes store. Then with your pictures in your camera roll you can upload that to your photo bucket account using the photo bucket app. Once the pictures are in photo bucket, you can look at them in the photo bucket app and copy the sharing links for the photos that you want to share. Then come into the forum topic that you want to reply to and simply paste the link to the photo and it will appear.

Piece of pie, tovarish!

By the way, that preceding post that I just made was 100% dictated using a iPhone app called voice to app. Saves lots of time!

Hello, I started this job and waiting on parts. My question is that since I took off the nut on the bottom of the tub, I was able tap the shaft in to the point where the threads are no longer visible. This is far as I'm able to get the shaft to go. I've heard horror stories of the tub cracking from hitting it to hard. Any suggestions?

I have hammered on a few with a large hammer without having problems, sometimes the shafts are tough to drive up and out. 

What was the model number..we got us another Bravos from tommytech...his model number did not compute.... possibly the same type of repair???.

Model number should be MVWX500XLO. Tommytech was missing the X after the W.

post-50200-0-31387600-1362193729_thumb.jpost-50200-0-39161900-1362194122_thumb.jpost-50200-0-43471900-1362194251_thumb.j. it's like the shaft is catching somewhere. The thread part will go into the hole only so far and then stop. I'll take any input that I can. this shaft doesn't seem to want to go any further.

Hello, I started this job and waiting on parts. My question is that since I took off the nut on the bottom of the tub, I was able tap the shaft in to the point where the threads are no longer visible. This is far as I'm able to get the shaft to go. I've heard horror stories of the tub cracking from hitting it to hard. Any suggestions?

That's why when I do these, I just order the outer tub and the inner wash basket and don't waste my time trying to pull the inner basket out.  Hell with the stupid bearing kit

Has the seal in the top side popped out yet?

Driving the shaft up and out the top should pop the seal out and let the shaft come out.  If the seal doesn't pop out, the shaft can't come out either.

I've never had to do one of these yet so I'm not talking from experience only logic from reading the instruction sheet.

The new seal is to be glued in with the adhesive supplied with the seal and bearing kit, if the original seal was also glued with this same adhesive from the factory it might take a good hit on the shaft end to pop the seal loose.

Get a bigger hammer, prefer a three pound sledge

Hit it with a big ass hammer

ive done 2 of these first one was no problem 2nd one not so easy i the inner tub and shaft where stuck together had to really hammer to get the shaft to go up through but when it did it was still attached to the tub but when it went through seal and all came out so it turned out ok still only took me 45 min