Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool (UK) AWM 8163 Washing machine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ianmc

ianmc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:58 AM

Hi

I had a problem with the machine not draining. Eventually traced this to a coin trapped in the outlet of the pump, after an hour long fight with the machine I managed to retrieve the coin. I don't know if I disturbed or damaged something during the battle to get the coin out. Because now the machine drains fine. But when the drum is due to start I hear 2 loud clicks from the motor and the drum jerks a couple of times. Then the digital display starts to flash displaying the number 7 and The letter F, presumably fault 7. Any Ideas ?

ian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,838 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

Konichiwa. Don't know if appliances in the UK are shipped with a tech sheet inside them as they are in the US. If yours has it, it will be located inside the control panel. Unplug the washer, open and the panel and see. We're gonna need that techsheet in order to help you because the database I have does not include overseas model numbers.

Also, photos of the guts of your washer would help us to visuallize the problem. You can post them here using the attachment feature.

#3 ianmc

ianmc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be a tech sheet within the machine I have checked the operating instructions though. Within the trouble shooting section in reference  to error codes f4 to f16

"Electrical module fault
The “Spin Speed” indicator and the “Start
Delay” option are flashing and an audible tone
sounds. The display shows “F4” to “F16”.
• Switch off the appliance. Select a programme
and press the “Start/Pause” button once
again.
The programme will continue.
• If the fault re-occurs, contact After Sales
Service (see “After-Sales Service”).

This is the error my machine displays. I've took the back of to have a closer look. After disconnecting the drive belt and watching the motor it seems to me that whatever system controls the speed of the motor in not functioning. When the motor kicks in it seems to go at full speed immediately then a fraction of a second later the machine trips out displaying the above error. Do you think the electrical control module is faulty or could it be the motor itself ?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,838 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

Ahh, the infamous electronic control. The electronics boards can easily get thier little brains scrambled by dirty power, voltage transients, surges, sags, swells, and spikes. Try unplugging the washer for at least 30 minutes to let all the CMOS memory bleed down and then plug it back in. Run it and see if the fault re-appears.

If the fault code re-appears, then you'll probably need to replace the motor speed control board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics