Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool RF365PXYN2 - grounding wires?

grounding wires?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lotsofrocks

lotsofrocks

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

We decided that, for once in our lives, we'd match up our kitchen appliance colors and enjoy the harmonious color scheme before we decide to list the house. Nothing wrong with the electric range so we'd like to give it away via our local Freecycle network — hopefully to someone who really needs a replacement or maybe even has been doing without one entirely. I decided to clean it up as bright and shiny as I could get it (yes, the Dremel grinds and sands).

We ran the self-cleaning cycle before the new range arrived and had the unit moved onto our screened-in porch for cleaning up. Here's the really embarrassing part: I took apart the top parts of our range so that I could completely remove the pop-up top and clean the underside (fits in a bathtub). I'm ready to put everything back together and can't remember where to reconnect the two grounding wires. :whistling: ...The one time I didn't take a photo before I disconnected parts....

As I recall ... the long grounding wire that comes up from the back of the range connects to the pop-up top — howsomever, you stack one of the second grounding wire loops onto the first grounding wire loop and then insert the screw and attach them both to the middle hole of the pop-up top.

Is that correct? But I still cannot remember where oh where I disconnected the loop on the other end of the second grounding wire. Looking at the range from the back, I think it's somewhere on the left side, but that's the best I can come up with.

I checked out the secret files stash, but all I found was the manual and I've already been online and downloaded it and it doesn't show any of this stuff. Even looked at the info for the gas range just in case there was something but didn't find it there, either. Then I checked through the hints, found the wiring diagram and downloaded it just in case whatever. It definitely shows that first ground wire, but not where it goes and not the second 2-loop wire.

I really don't want to give this to someone without putting the grounding wires back together properly. So, please help me out here???????

:thanks: Embarrassed to be me today... Susan

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

Yes it sounds as if you have the hole figured out, the other extension will screw to tha chassis in the back, or on the console - they are "bonding grounds" and serve to ensure a good ground to each panel.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 lotsofrocks

lotsofrocks

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thanks! When I get it the grounds connected I'll take a pic and post it just so someone can let me know if I got things horribly (or laughably) wrong...

At least I don't have to ask what you mean by chassis or console. :-)

~ susan

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Bonding grounds are meant to tie any and all exposed surfaces together with a guaranteed path to ground (screws and wires), that eventually connect to the main ground of the appliance. They insure that should any condition occur where a hot wire touches an exposed panel, a circuit is made directly to ground which will terminate incoming power immediately (trip breaker/blow fuse). There is really no "wrong" place to put them except with any wire that is part of the circuit (black,red, or white wires). The appliance will not operate any differently in their absence, but they are to be connected to reduce possibility of shock hazard. They are always identified by green jacketing, or bare wires.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

What are "Bonding Grounds?" What do they do? Why are they important?

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 20 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Bonding grounds are meant to tie any and all exposed surfaces together with a guaranteed path to ground (screws and wires), that eventually connect to the main ground of the appliance....

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics