Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Neptune Washer MAH9700AWW Motor Binding

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Model MAH9700AWW

Motor seems to be binding. Check out videos of problem here.
http://neighboursapp...vate/jCvrggAmDA

Anyone seen this before? Ideas?
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

What was the original complaint-- 3E by any chance?

Did you measure the resistance of the stator assembly from the main board?

#3 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Yep - E3. I ohmed out the motor and it was good. 12.2 ohms between all 3 leads at the board. There were other codes saved in the board ... 25's and a 92. These all have to do with the motor I think.

Still stumped as to what is causing the drum to grab as if the motor was stopping it. BTW - there is no noise ... no grinding or anything like that when it happens - it just stops.

Edited by Strathy, 20 March 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

These are the Samsung-built machines.

I'm not sure about the drum grabbing... hoping Master john63 will weigh in on this one and enlighten us.

There was a tech memo out on the E3 error that I posted about at my other site, not sure if you've seen it ==> http://fixitnow.com/...ah9700-washers/

Here's the link to the actual tech bulletin ==> http://www.mediafire.com/?eo2yznwaizn

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Recent Samsung washer training manuals have a footnote in them which explains that...

If a 3E and/or b2 error was displayed---and the HALL SENSOR / MOTOR / WIRES / PLUG CONNECTIONS are "good"...

Replace the MAIN BOARD.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#6 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thanks guys. My understanding is that the E3 and 3E are two different codes. In diagnostics, this one is showing 2E which seems to correspond with the E3 code. I will order the motor as per info posted by Samauri about the Hall sensor.

EDIT: Hmmm ... when I look at the motor that is listed on Samauri page - that is a belt driven machine. The one I'm servicing is an integrated motor machine like this:

Posted Image

Tech Sheet does talk about the Hall sensor still though ...

Posted Image

I will still check the connections ... but will bring a motor with me. It looks like the Hall Sensor in part of the motor assembly on this style as well.

Edited by Strathy, 23 March 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#7 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

My experience with these washers has been that---when all error messages point to a problem with the HALL SENSOR or MOTOR...

The remedy/solution turns out to be the MAIN BOARD.

Very frustrating---until you've developed an intuitive 6th sense when servicing older Samsung designs.

In most cases this can be verified by initiating the TEST MODE for the MAIN BOARD---if the 2nd or 3rd test sequence cannot be enabled/verified---replace the MAIN BOARD (see Tech Sheet for instructions).
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#8 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

just a few weeks ago i had one with a broken wire in the harness that runs up to the motor, it made connection when standing still so it passed the ohms test but when it would spin it would break connection, i was wiggling the wires while it was in the spin cycle and go a nice shock to tell me what the problem was

Edited by sh2sh2, 24 March 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#9 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

On mine, it passed all the diagnostic tests including the short test cycle in diagnostics. So it seems to be an intermittent problem.

#10 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

That would appear to be a MAIN BOARD fault.

Every so often---the motor is energized to "run" in clockwise/counterclockwise at the same time (locked rotor).

If the plugs & wires are in good condition (no corrosion or chaffed)---and the HALL SENSOR and STATOR are within spec (ohms)---it *could* still be the MAIN BOARD at fault.

Trying not to "beat a dead horse" here---but these model washers drove me to the brink at times :)

It reminds me of LT. COL. Petrov.

He was a part of the soviet (nuke) missile command---monitoring/watching for *missile launch* signatures via satellite.

Petrov was not part of the missile detection station---but was *asked* to sit-in (assume command) for a fellow colleague for ONE NIGHT.

That very night---on his one-time shift---the alarm begins blaring and the entire missile warning screen lights up---announcing that a US missile launch was detected.

To make a long story short---Petrov *shut-down* the missile warning system (cancelled the alert) FIVE TIMES.

Turned out that sunlight at sundown on the US west coast---was reflected/refracted upwards---to the sensor(s) on the Russian satellite---producing a near-identical signature as that of a launched missile.

Petrov's hunch was correct---something was malfunctioning.

Working on the older Samsung washers---requires second guessing the machine's fault code logic :)

Edited by john63, 25 March 2012 - 12:51 AM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics