Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire FFU17c3AW1 Freezer not cold enough

Freezer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daj2319

daj2319

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Here is the problem... This is not a self defrost Freezer. A few weeks ago we defrosted the freezer. Started it back up and a day or so later everything was defrosting inside. The next day it was frozen again. This went on for 3 or 4 days so we moved all the food to a neighbors freezer, and called a service man. He was here about a half hour and said the compressor was bad even though it was running. Well I didn't believe him and talked to another service man on the phone and he said odds are that it was the relay switch. I purchased a relay switch and a run capacitor. Installed them and started it up. Compressor fired up and began to get all the shelves cold. The top shelf now has frost on one set of coils on the shelf. Bottom shelves are cold. But the freezer is only getting to about 30 degrees. The compressor runs all the time and is warm. The output line is cold. The thermostat will shut it down when in the off position and turns it back on. Running out of ideas except maybe compressor is weak or needs a recharge. It is a sealed system. The repairman said sealed systems don't go bad. I am also wondering if there is a pinhole leak somewhere that superseal and new 134a refrigerant would not fix it. I see everywhere that a cooling fan could be the problem but this unit does not have an apparent one unless it is in the walls. Any ideas or is it junk?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

... said the compressor was bad even though it was running.
... top shelf now has frost on one set of coils on the shelf. Bottom shelves are cold.
... The compressor runs all the time and is warm.
... The repairman said sealed systems don't go bad.
... pinhole leak somewhere that superseal and new 134a refrigerant would not fix it.
... cooling fan could be the problem but this unit does not have

1) Compressor could be bad if it's over-heating and stopping
2) if the Coils aren't all the same "frostiness", then it could be a sealed system leak problem
3) symptom of # 2 above
4) :whistling: :kopkrab: yes, they do
5) could be a pinhole leak... I'm not sure about superseal.. there's some disadvantages with it, but maybe nothing much to lose on that model
6) no Fans on that model

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 daj2319

daj2319

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:None

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

1) Compressor could be bad if it's over-heating and stopping
2) if the Coils aren't all the same "frostiness", then it could be a sealed system leak problem
3) symptom of # 2 above
4) :whistling: :kopkrab: yes, they do
5) could be a pinhole leak... I'm not sure about superseal.. there's some disadvantages with it, but maybe nothing much to lose on that model
6) no Fans on that model

1 Compressor never stops unless it is shut off by unplugging or off on thermostat
2 Coils on top shelf at back full route frozen and lightly beginning to move into the second set only on first shelf.
3 Beginning to think it is internal leak however:
4 It makes no difference whether the thermostat is set on 1 or 6 or even 7 it is still the same temp inside.

We did buy a new 20.6 cu ft one for only $10 more than the repair guy wanted to replace the compressor.... I was hoping to revive this one.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

seems like a sealed system leak..
replacing the Compressor won't fix it.
Leak may be anywhere...
in the (coil) Shelves,
in the Condenser Coils inside the sealed back wall of unit,
etc ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,793 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

If you felt like undertaking your own sealed system work, Electrolux puts out an excellent training DVD in doing sealed system repairs. An excellent bargain at only $25! ==> http://www.repaircli...4454883/1192226

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics