ngravina

Double Oven GE completely out but wrong voltage present, I'm stumped

10 posts in this topic

GE electric double wall oven mod JT952 about 9 years old. Wife goes to change out light bulb. She tried removing two screws and dropped the whole socket down rather than just unscrewing the bulb and screwing in a new one.

When she dropped the socket down, it shorted and made a large spark. Everything is now out on the oven and not working. The breaker did not blow.

I arrive, first check the breaker box, good, then remove front control panel on oven and check incoming power. Here’s where I am confused.

Voltage red to white = 124

Voltage black to white = 12 (this is where I’m stumped)

Voltage red to black = 72 (another puzzle)

I did have 120V going to the control board and it is completely out and not functioning.

I was really leaning towards changing the control board on this guy, but I don’t want to order a $300 board (which is currently not available anywhere) until I figure out why the voltage at the oven is incorrect. The guy said the oven always worked great before this event. We did go ahead and replace the 40amp breaker to see if that was the problem, but still have incorrect voltage to oven.

Does anyone have some advice on this one???

Thanks,

Nick

Blue Frog Appliance

check the voltage at the Breakers

may be a bad connection at the Kitchen Wall connection box

Voltage at breaker box was good.

may be a bad connection at the Kitchen Wall connection box

I like your cool logo/avatar, bluefrog. Who made that for you?

ok, looks like we will pull the oven out and check connection back there.

Thanks, I had a logo design contest done at 99designs.com. All kinds of artists from around the world submitted ideas for my company and that was the one I chose.

Glad you like it.

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks, I had a logo design contest done at 99designs.com. All kinds of artists from around the world submitted ideas for my company and that was the one I chose.

Glad you like it.

Thanks for that info! Looks like great way to get logo design done and I like the results you got.

Click on this link and you can see the contest itself and how it works. You will see eliminated entries, for the entries that I eliminated, hold your cursor over the icon and it will show you the design that they submitted. There were some really cool ideas, it was hard to choose a winner.

http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/create-next-logo-design-blue-frog-appliance-66582

Wow! Those are all really nice looking! I see what you mean about being hard to choose.

Update, you were right. Juction box had a bad connection from shorted light bulb wire in oven. Cleaned it up, new heavy duty wire nut, back in business. Powered up great and no damage to the control board. Customer was very pleased.

Thanks again.

Nick

www.bluefrogappliance.com