Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool model LER8857EQ1 Dryer Motor Stiff - Can I Clean or Lube It

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hachi-Ban-San

Hachi-Ban-San

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:36 PM

Greetings Sensei!

My 9-year-old dryer started making louder noise than normal the other day.  It also sounds louder than normal when you start it up - like it may be drawing more amperage than normal.  After cleaning out a fair amount of lint from the enclosure and not seeing any obvious problems, the noise was still the same.  I removed the drum and turned it on and again it sounded about the same.  I removed the blower wheel and motor for more inspection and cleaning.

The motor can be turned by hand but it seems a bit stiff to me.  As you continue to turn the motor by hand you can feel the resistance vary.  Seems like I have a case of lint/crud binding things up.  Can this be cleaned or lubed to free things up or is it a goner?

Thank you Master for any knowledge yo care to share!  (Great website by the way!)

Honor your sensei with beer!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:54 PM

you can try blowing some compressed air to clean it out but more than likely the motor bearing is bad. Over here we just replace the motor. If you are lucky also make sure you do not get any lubricant on the pulley or the belt will slip.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,389 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:46 AM

If your resuscitation efforts fail, you can buy a new motor here:

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=2584

#4 Hachi-Ban-San

Hachi-Ban-San

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:09 AM

Thank you Master.  Just finished ordering the motor.  No sense fooling around when Momma's not happy (Ain't no beer drinkin' when Momma's not happy!).  Thanks a bunch!

Honor your sensei with beer!

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,389 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:20 AM

Let us know how it goes. I love happy endings! :geek:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics