Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Washer WM2101H Making Grinding Noise - Won't Spin

LG washer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darlashay

Darlashay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

I love this washer - it has been working fine until tonight. I heard a horrible noise coming from it, as if whatever mechanism is supposed to spin it was grinding and clanking against the tub trying to spin it, but the tub wasn't spinning. I stopped it and removed the load, and tried hitting spin only. The tub did spin. I put one towel in and hit spin only, and it wouldn't spin.

Any chance that this is something we can fix ourselves? There is no error message. The machine seems to think it IS spinning. It's almost as if something came unattached inside. Naturally we did not do the smart thing and staple the receipt to the user manual, so I don't know if it will be covered under the warranty.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Remove the rear/back access panel (4 screws).

Check/inspect the 17mm bolt at the center of the ROTOR (this is part of the washer motor).

If loose---remove the bolt & pull off the ROTOR to inspect the *spline*.

If "stripped"---a new ROTOR will be needed.

http://www.repaircli...Number=WM2101HW
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 Darlashay

Darlashay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thank you, Sensei. My husband found the receipt this morning and that he had gotten an extended warranty, through Home Depot. They will come out on Tuesday, and we'll see what they say. I am afraid if we start working on it it might void our warranty. However, at least we know that if we do need a rotor, how much they are charging versus how much we can get it for through you will be helpful to know. You don't think they will try to rip us off, do you?

I see that we got this washer in June 2009 so we are just skating in under the three-year expiration, thankfully. I have used this washer for a minimum of one load of laundry EVERY DAY since we got it, usually more like three or four loads since we are an animal rescue family, so I can't really complain too much. It has been rode hard and put away wet many times - except that I always make sure the door is left open for at least four hours if there is not another load going right in. We have had no problems even though I see I have been using too much detergent and I was using Downey for our clothes (fortunately not for all the loads of towels for the animals) So I guess we have been lucky, up to now.

So glad there is a site like this to give us a clue when things go wrong. Thank you!

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Let us know how that turns out for you
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

<<<I have used this washer for a minimum of one load of laundry EVERY DAY since we got it, usually more like three or four loads since we are an animal rescue family, so I can't really complain too much.>>>

That's 3 times the normal workload (approx 1200 loads per year)

Every year the washer is put through 3 years worth of laundry.

This adds the possibility of a failed REAR BEARING/TUB ASSY.

With an extended warranty---all parts & labor should be 100% covered.

Some extended warranty companies will offer a full replacement washer if the repair cost is high.

Good luck :)
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

just a note:
should be using only HE detergent .. and sparingly...
IF you happen to have some non-HE detergent...
get it out of sight of the serviceman..
and replace it with HE detergent... :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Darlashay

Darlashay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

The repairman showed my husband that the bolt had worked its way loose and the middle opening of the rotor was partially worn down - I shut the machine off initially as soon as I heard clanking but it must have been loosening over time without making that much noise. So he ordered whatever new parts it needs and will be back in a few days. We are SO lucky that we are still covered by the warranty. Even so, there is no guarantee it will work right after repair. I have to leave the door open all the time. My husband had closed it and it already started to smell musty. Thank you guys for the info and if we ever need to replace the parts ourselves, I'll make sure we come to your site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics