Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana BX21VW compressor not working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lou123

lou123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

I have a bottom freezer Amana BX21VW that stopped cooling. All the fans run but the compressor does not stay on. I manually turned the defrost timer and it shut off everything, continued to turn and the compressor kicks in as I see the lights dim but it only engages for about 3-10 seconds. My question is whether an overload switch or start relay would cause this or is it most likely the compressor went out? Any suggestions what to check and/or test? This is an extra refrigerator that is about 12 years old...not looking to put a lot of money in it (bad compressor would not be worth replacing).
Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

... whether an overload switch or start relay would cause this

yes,
OR you could also test the Compressor pins with an OHM meter..
should be anywhere from 3 OHMs to 12 OHMs between each pair of pins,
and infinity between each and the Compressor Case

either the black original type
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1159182

Start-Device-67005560-00741569.jpg

OR the white newer style
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1481748

Relay-and-Overload-Kit-W10189190-0121148

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 lou123

lou123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

The relay you showed is different than what I have. The parts on mine are #4357156 for the start relay and #4344040 for the overload. They mount on top of one another on the side of the compressor. There is a total of 3 pins on the compressor. 2 pins plug in to the relay and 1 single pin to the overload. If I understand you correctly I should disconnect these, then check resistance between the pins as well as each pin to the case. As long as I have readings between 3-12 ohms between the pins and infinity from each pin to case it would indicate the compressor is ok? In that case do I just replace these parts and see if the compressor runs? How common is it for this to happen?

As a side note, before this problem occurred we had vegetables that froze in the crisper drawer which leads me to believe the unit froze up and never went into defrost mode. Could this have led to the problems with the compressor?

Thanks

#4 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Part numbers change all the time. Don't worry about it. Do the tests and if everything checks out good report back.

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

The parts on mine are #4357156

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1481748

Relay-and-Overload-Kit-W10189190-0121148

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 lou123

lou123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

Was able to check resistance on all pins to compressor and all check out good. Reassembled and advanced defrost timer to cycle again. Appears the compressor is running but not cooling. Heard the start relay click and the light dimmed for a second or two and then the compressor seemed o come on. Very quiet compressor...expected it to be louder, only quiet buzz or hum. I can only guess that it must be low on freon as it seems to be running but not cooling at all. I would have thought there would be a low freon switch that would prevent it from running if low. Might have to call in a tech to verify that the compressor is running but no freon just to make sure I'm correct before I start looking for another refrigerator. Not sure what else to check.

#7 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Heard the start relay click and the light dimmed for a second or two and then the compressor seemed o come on. Very quiet compressor...

Sounds like a seized compressor, lights dim, then clicks on overload. Maytag (Amana) had troubles with Tecumseh compressors.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Check for compressor operation by using a clamp-on amp. meter on the blue , black ?? wire...about 1.2 to about 1.8 amps................If the compressor is operating, check the evaporator coils for a frost pattern, Fully frosted???...keep us posted..........

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

.. the start relay click and the light dimmed for a second or two and then the compressor seemed o come on.

does the Compressor continue to run ?
Sure it is running ?
Does it run :"forever" ?
OR after a few minutes, another "click"
Check if there's any frost on the Evaporator Coils in the Freezer

#10 lou123

lou123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

I unplugged the unit. How long should I have to run it again before checking if there is frost on the evaporator coils ? Never did remove the inside cover to check that From what I could tell the compressor just seems to keep running. That's why I thought maybe low on freon.

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

check the frost pattern after the Compressor has been running an hour or more.

#12 lou123

lou123

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

okay, I left the refrigerator run for over a day...haven't had time to work on this. The good news is the compressor seems to be running but the freezer never got below 40 degrees. I removed the ice maker and back panel and the evaporator had no ice at all but the main line from the compressor to the evaporator was completely frozen and covered in ice and frost. Apparently not circulating through the evaporator. Any suggestions?

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,238 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

... the compressor seems to be running but the freezer never got below 40 degrees. I removed the ice maker and back panel and the evaporator had no ice at all but the main line from the compressor to the evaporator was completely frozen and covered in ice and frost.

Posted Image

My crystal ball is telling me that one of two things are in your future:

- Sealed system work: evacuation and recharge ==> http://www.repaircli...4454883/1192226

- A no-expenses paid shopping trip to your local appliance store.

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

... not enough Freon to circulate ...
time to go shopping for a new Fridge...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics