Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag dishwasher model WC202 pump—acceptable noise?

slantsixdan

Maytag dishwasher model WC202, serial 645309 RA.

Some time ago, after consulting with the experts here, I bought a complete new pump assembly and a new clear silicone belt. All genuine parts. Everything went back together OK (installing the belt was lots of fun; I did lube it with the included silicone grease) and the dishwasher works very well.

But, there is a new noise that wasn't present before. I can't figure out what might be making it. It's sort of a "Scharrff! Shwarrff! Sharrrwarrf!" type of noise. It's not cyclical, rhythmic or regular in nature. If I were forced to compare it to something, I would loosely compare it to the slurping noise you sometimes get from a not-quite-completely-opened bathtub drain, but that's far from exact.

Bearing rattle...? Something the matter with the new pump assembly? Normal noise? The dishwasher just seems a fair bit louder than it ought to be. The noise is more pronounced when the dishwasher is draining, but it is present whenever the pump is operating, in whichever mode.

I am not looking forward to either trying to get a replacement replacement pump under warranty or doing this R and R again, but that pump was expensive, and I don't want it to frag and spread shrapnel through the rest of the unit.

Any thoughts? (Sorry about double post)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Hows the water fill level in the basin? I've seen a low water fill make some mighty strange noises in these dishwashers.

Water fill level is quite excellent. It is at least the same as it was before the new pump, and possibly higher due to my having cleaned some bits of trash out of the combination aerator/dishwasher coupler piece on the end of the kitchen faucet.

• Team Samurai

You may just be hearing a normal dishwasher noise now that it's fully operational. I run into this alot after I've repaired an appliance that's been operating at a deficient level for a while, the customer gets used to that noise and then, after the repair, it actually sounds normal but it's different from what the customer was used to immediately prior to the repair.

How's the washing efficacy?

If you can, post a sound recording of the noise so we can have a listen.

It seems to be doing a very fine job of dish cleanup. Everything gets nice and sparkly unless it went in *really* crusty or was poorly placed in the racks. I'll see if I can record a soundfile, thanks.

New song title!!  ""MY dishwasher thinks it"s a Bathtub""  Well if we can have songs like ""My boyfriend thinks he's a Train""....little humor here....ok, really bad attempt....sorry...:?...I will go away now.....

Archived