Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore washer will spin but not enough

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 imamom

imamom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:28 AM

Hi,

I have a Kenmore 110.12502100 washer.  It will spin, but not enough to completely wring out the clothes.  I followed the instructions for cadensdad "Kenmore washer won't spin", hoping it was the coupler, but the coupler on my machine looks good as new.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:34 AM

"Is the problem with the spin or with insufficient draining," I ax myself as I ponder your dilemma. Let some water into the tub and then advance to spin. As the washer is pumping out, lift the drain hose so you can lay some eyeball action on the discharge stream. Is it the same diameter as the drain hose or something less? These are the things I ponder as I drift off to Dreamland at night. Oh, Gawd, what the hell is wrong is with me?

#3 imamom

imamom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:08 AM

Yup, there appears to be sufficient drainage.  The water stream is the same diameter as the drainage hose.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:35 AM

Ok, is it not spinning long enough or fast enough?

#5 imamom

imamom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:44 AM

It's not spinning fast enough.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

Alright, you're down to coupler or clutch.

When you checked the coupler, did you actually pull off the motor and check all three pieces of the coupler or did you just look at it from underneath. (hint: if your answer is the latter, then you need to do the former.)

#7 imamom

imamom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:03 AM

I did take it apart and looked at all three pieces. 

#8 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:38 PM

Open the lid.

Stick a pen or something into the hole where the lid switch plunger goes.(this is so you can run it in spin with the lid up, we are fooling the machine into thinking the lid is down.)

Turn the timer to spin on the normal or heavy duty cycle.(don't start it yet)

with one hand hold onto the top of the spin basket, and with the other start the cycle.

If you can easily prevent the basket from spinning, your clutch is worn out, or has some oil on it.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#9 imamom

imamom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:05 PM

Looks like it's the clutch.  I'm able to easily prevent it from spinning.  What now?  Can the clutch be easily fixed (by an amateur like me) or does it need to be brought into a repair person, or do I just get a whole new clutch and install it?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics