Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Fridge top mount tx21r2e evap motor not getting power.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

Having problems on the neutral wire on The evap motor. This motor is wired to the defrost limit, but limit is good. The fridge will also intermittently turn off even though it has not reached proper temp. Cold control seems to be okay ..no sparking....shaking it does not cause it to turn off/on (have yet to bypass it to see what happens) compressor not running hot and the timer is very noisy. My gut feeling is that the timer is bad (remember having an Amana where a bad timer was causing interference with neutral line running to water dispenser). I guess my question is, can a bad timer cause evap fan motor not to get power and can it, even though not near defrost period, cause the compressor and condenser fan motor to stop working intermittently? Of course anything is possible, but wondering if anyone had similar experience. Thanks! btw this fridge has more screws than H Fleiss!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 28 March 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Did you happen to check the outlet polarity ?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

I can't find any wiring diagram for that model,
unless you have one you could scan & upload somewhere ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

I'm not finding anything on this one, either.

I guess my question is, can a bad timer cause evap fan motor not to get power and can it, even though not near defrost period, cause the compressor and condenser fan motor to stop working intermittently?

Absolutely, although I'm not saying with certainty that's what's happening here but it's within the operational purview of the defrost timer. Flakey wire harness connections are a common troublemaker. Check the terminal connectors in the molex connector on the defrost timer. Look for any darkening on the wire insulation leading up to those terminals. On at least one occasion, I've had to re-splice a whole new connector for the defrost timer because of one bad spade in the molex connector.

#5 asteysn2

asteysn2

Asteysn2

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle, Watneys, Stone's IPA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I had an Amana not long ago displayed very similar problem, I shorted the wires across the CC and it pulled down to -23 deg. Eventually I decided that the CC was flakey and I was right
Robert Sankey
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
email: coastalserve@gmail.com

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

There was no need to short cold control as the cold control bridged the hot wire. Evap fan problem was with the neutral line. There were actually two unrelated problems discovered after replacing timer. Timer fixed the intermittent shut downs but did not rectify fan problem. There was a short somewhere. I tested seemingly hundreds of wires from timer, lights, switches, molex connectors to nuclear reactor rods... Nothing. So I rerouted a neutral from the unused ice maker wires, crimped a connector on it and attached it to the fan motor. Tested fan reactions in defrost, and different temp settings while taking amp readings (needed to make sure nothing else was running inadvertently due to rerouting ). Two days and all is well.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 31 March 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,671 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Nice shootin', Durham! :armed:

And domo for posting what you found!

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Nice shootin', Durham! :armed:

And domo for posting what you found!

Thanks....sorry I've been making a lot of typos lately, been using my Samsung Pad and typing on a touch screen ...nothing beats a full old fashioned keyboard!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics