Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana freezer-on-bottom fridge BCI21VW warm freezer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

To the Dojo,

I've got a confoosing one. I rebuilt this refrigerator for a customer, and it cooled HARD in my shop. Now, three weeks later, I get a call that, "...it is running a lot." I get out last night, and this is what I find: a beer compartment at 43 degrees, and a freezer at 31 degrees. The compressor, however, hasn't lost any freon pressure (2.5lbs--the charge it left my shop with). The condenser system is clean as a whistle, both the condenser and evaporator fans are running strong, the discharge line registers "HOT" to the touch, and the compressor is humming along. I checked both light switches for functioning--each one turns off its bulb fine.
It doesn't appear to have an air circulation problem, as testified to by the moderate cooling of the beer. No defrost problem, because no stereotypical frost on the evaporator cover. I've had a couple side-by-sides with lights stay on (70-degrees-plus in the beer compartment); not that here. No loss of pressure, so no freon leak. No bad compressor (i.e. warped valve), because no erratic pressure or outrageous amperage draw. I even checked the freezer door seal for contact...just fine. This is nutty, because the fridge acts as if there's a hole somewhere where the cold air is leaking out.
Critical comments, or snide remarks? Helpful experience?

Domos in advance,
The Red Grasshoppah
Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:04 AM

When I pull the evaporator cover, and (God forbid) find an unevenly frosted evaporator coil, can't I use ProSeal to patch the leak? Any guys with ProSeal experience? Other sorts of evaporator sealant experience?
Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
701 Baldwin Falls Road
706-778-3411

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

... no stereotypical frost on the evaporator cover.

need to see the actual frost pattern on the Evaporator ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

The compressor, however, hasn't lost any freon pressure (2.5lbs--the charge it left my shop with). The condenser system is clean as a whistle, both the condenser and evaporator fans are running strong, the discharge line registers "HOT" to the touch, and the compressor is humming along.

First thing to keep in mind: The pressure you're measuring may not be all due to the refrigerant. You're measuring total pressure in the system, meaning refrigerant PLUS and non-condensibles such as air. Having said that...

The presence of air and other non-condensibles (e.g., nitrogen, if used for testing, for example) will raise head pressure and, correspondingly, condenser temperature will increase. You need to think back on your recharge procedure: did you pull a deep enough vacuum for a long enough time, did you measure the vacuum with a micron meter, did you replace the filter-dryer at the same time, etc. A sealed system left open to the air long enough will take in ambient humidity and the system will need to be pumped down longer.

Think on these things.

#5 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

The evaporator coil is only frosted along the top, back line.

I'm going to pull a fresh vacuum, all night long. I measure my vacuum in time (don't have a micron meter), and didn't change my filter-dryer. What sort of micron filter do you recommend; my father, who taught me, never uses one.

Many domos to you both. I'll keep you both in the loop.
Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
701 Baldwin Falls Road
706-778-3411

#6 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

If the charge is gone after three weeks , the hole will be big enough to find......Add two/three oz. of refigerant, Pressurize to 150 P.S.I. with dry nitrogen and look for a leak with your 'sniffer', if the leakage area is found , use bubbles to pinpoint the hole.........You did not say what was done in the rebuild........Comp. change-out, Evap coil??? Was a new filter / dryer installed??...........First thing would have been to look at the evaporator... Frost pattern is ????.......... Check brazed connections for oil leaks....( to indicate faulty connection/braze ) ...........Sweep charge operation preformed ???...................................Draw down to 29 " HG .... then isolate pump, ...........repeat till the micron gauge reading will not decrease...........Then sweep charge and repeat draw down to remove all non-condensables.....

#7 asteysn2

asteysn2

Asteysn2

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle, Watneys, Stone's IPA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

I second that the filter dryer should always be changed, especially if the system ever got hot as that can liberate the water thats held in suspension in the filter. Get a micron guage (not that expensive) and pull down to at least 100 mic. Then hold it there for a good hour.
Robert Sankey
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
email: coastalserve@gmail.com

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

RTT......Ya gotta geta vacuum gauge......... Time and under vacuum will do no good if you cannot relate the two....I.E. a micron gauge.......(I have used a Supco VG60 and have now a Supco VG64......I think I like the old VG 60 better).............................................asteysn2..an hour is at the far end of time under vacuum ( for me anyway ) I figger that, TWO 20 minute holds will be just about right................Last thing any of us want to do is drag ALL of the equipment back for a leak repair............ ( why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but, always enough time to go back and fixit ????)

#9 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

CTG 51,

Arrgh! I replaced the dryer filter, drew a deep vacuum (30 inches of vacuum for two hours), recharged the compressor, and BOOM! it cools at minus-three degrees in my shop. Three weeks later...more soft ice cream. I'm going to answer your questions, and then ask some grasshoppah questions.

Rebuild involved replaced compressor and dryer filter. Evaporator and condenser fans checked out okay. I have a two-dial JB Industries air pressure gauge set; no micron gauge.

Questions for you:
"Sweep charge performed"? What is that, and how do I perform it?
"Isolate pump"?
I understand from what you've posted that vacuum-hold-check more than once, but for what? Are those the "microns"--of non-condensibles? I'm going back tomorrow, with my "sniffer;" I should add 2-3 oz. to system and check the evaporator first, then check my compressor soldering, right? PLEASE advise.
Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
701 Baldwin Falls Road
706-778-3411

#10 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

I have a Yellow Jacket brand 4 way manifold, allows you to have 1) high side 2) low side 3) vacuum pump 4) vacuum gauge / refrigerant lines all connected at the same time...The only change is to the vacuum gauge/refrig line, just switch the line...............................Non- condensables out / refrigerant in................ So, 1) evac system... (20 min.s is about right , also depends on pump C.F.M.s).............2) add about 2 oz. refrigerant.......run refrigerator a few minutes, ( close the high side valve , so the refrigerant will flow thru the system ).......3) bleed off refrigerant...........( OOPS Reclaim refrigerant ) .......................... Repeat.....................After second sweep, evac system, close off vacuum pump and monitor for about 20 min.....( may need a few more draw downs to stabilize, Your vacuum gauge manufacturer instructions will inform you of some operating tips) ....................... If it holds O.K............... add final charge.............Good to Go...............If yours is losing refrigerant that fast ( and it held a charge before you started the repair )......all you need to look is your connections and the Schrader cores..........................................150 psi with dry nitrogen and look for the leak....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics