Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch Dishwasher Impeller Stuck - Help!

bosch dishwasher impeller

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jcc

jcc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Have a 6-yo Bosch SHU66C high end dishwasher. A couple of months ago it stopped pumping water. Repair guy came out, snapped out the grey cover over the pump outlet hole and took a long screw and 'unstuck' the impeller. Washer has gotten louder starting about 6 months ago. Ran for a couple months. Stuck again and I tried to do the same thing but when I stick my finger in and feel around and can feel the cone shaped end of the impeller but can't feel any 'fins' just a slight edge of a fin that is flush with the surrounding housing. I've seen photos where you can see the impeller fins. Not on this model I guess. Tried the screw but really couldn't feel anything much to 'catch' the screen tip on and try to turn it! Seems like this impeller is well recessed into the housing or something.

He said to replace the pump close to $300 in parts and labor as washer need to be removed and put on blocks or something. I'm a DIY guy but either way, I've heard these Bosch units, although great operation, can be problematic and going beyond 6 or 7 years seems like maybe better choice is a new, well rated but lesser expensive model for around $500-$600 (This was an $1,100 model) that has a warranty. I'll go nuts if I spend the time and/or money to fix it and then a year from now I'm dealing with more problems.

Any advice is appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,598 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

You're missing some numbers off that model number, budrow. Get 'em right off the tag on the kickplate of the dishwasher.

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

I don't believe it was just a screwdriver that was stuck in there to turn and free the stuck impeller.

I'm petty sure it's a 7mm or 8mm nut driver, (the plastic impeller has a nut molded onto the front of it).

Impeller and seal kit, (you can kind of make out the molded nut end on the impeller):
http://www.repaircli...r/167085/935404
Posted Image

You most likely need a complete new motor and pump assembly if it locked up that quick again, water has most likely got into the motor bearings.
http://www.repaircli.../239144/1042021
Posted Image
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 jcc

jcc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

He showed me exactly what he did. He used a really long wood/drywall screw. This would make sense as you could use the sharp point of the end of the screw to get some traction on trying to turn the impeller by sticking the point into the plastic. But its really a moot point now. I knew it would eventually fail as the washer was getting louder. I just wanted to get as much life out of it as I could before buying a replacement. Was hoping to delay further through a quick fix. I'm not going to fork out $300 on a 6-yo washer that is out of warranty. Spent about 3 hours researching new washers looking at reviews from several different sources. In general Bosch is suppose to be one of the more reliable brands. I've not had that experience personally including a new Bosch at my vacation home that was only 1 year old that had issues. They are well designed washers from a features/noise/cleaning standpoint but just like BMW and Mercedes, they have their quirks and aren't as trouble free as an Acura or a Lexus. The German engineering is typically a double edged sword.

We've had Kitchenaid appliances otherwise and they have been bulletproof (knock on wood.) I've heard that Whirlpool Gold is essentially Kitchenaid quality or very close to it (made by the same company). The only washer that wherever I looked had very consistent raving reviews was the higher end Whirlpool Gold WDF750SAY. It has features similar to the Bosch (stainless interior, adjustable racks, fold down tines, etc. etc.) and it is quiet. Unfortunately one thing about reviews is 90% of them are written within 3 months of making the purchase. Very few people 2 years later will go back and update their review after they've had problems.

If some other Bosch owner stumbles across this thread and are pondering a new unit and doesn't want to spend more than say $600, at least at the time of this writing, you can take advantage of my hours of research and consider the following for your short list: Whirlpool Gold WDF750SAY, Frigidaire Gallery FGHD2455, Maytag JetClean MDB8959. They all are not as 'high-end' as my Bosch, but they are the closest in features with good reviews and a good price ($400-$550) I think it is also dangerous to generalize about brands. As with most things, some models are a 'hit' and others are a 'miss'

#5 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

That pump is the heart of the machine. Replacing it is almost like getting a whole new machine in terms of operation. Its running at 150 bucks from repair clinic, WHICH IS A STEAL!!

#6 jcc

jcc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

That pump is the heart of the machine. Replacing it is almost like getting a whole new machine in terms of operation. Its running at 150 bucks from repair clinic, WHICH IS A STEAL!!

I've seen drainage problems in general to by a far more common issue. Also have seen Bosch has frequent reports of controller boards going out. In fact last repair tech said he wouldn't be surprised if that was next. We've got hard water too which is hard on appliances. 6 years isn't too bad. Just stings a bit considering it was an $1,100 model (and that was discounted.)

#7 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

If, and When that happens, just fix it. Everything breaks. I'd rather spend 150 bucks and some time right now, then all the time spent into research, shopping, research on the shopping, shopping and finally buying, removal and installing. Etc etc etc. But hey, thats me :D And btw, ALL DRAIN PUMPS NOW SUCK, ALL CONTROL BOARDS NOW SUCK. It almost cant be escaped. I think your three picks for new Dishwashers are pretty good picks :D

Edited by RussTech, 31 March 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#8 asteysn2

asteysn2

Asteysn2

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle, Watneys, Stone's IPA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

When a Bosch motor hangs up and buzzes, first think I ask is when did it last run? Sometimes suprisingly they say, Oh, a couple months. Really? Well when the seals dry up they stick. And these motors dont have that much startup torque so instead they just buzz.
So you take off the LH cover, get access to the motor and I always use a wooden push stick to dislodge the motor since I cant always kill the power. But if it happens again within a few weeks, man you gotta gey yourself a new motor. Your bearings are getting to shot.
Robert Sankey
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
email: coastalserve@gmail.com

#9 jcc

jcc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Ya, when service for the one-year old unit told us the 'don't like to sit' I thought that was odd but it made sense. I imagine our vacation home unit will have future issues as it can sit for a couple months sometimes without being used.

When a Bosch motor hangs up and buzzes, first think I ask is when did it last run? Sometimes suprisingly they say, Oh, a couple months. Really? Well when the seals dry up they stick. And these motors dont have that much startup torque so instead they just buzz.
So you take off the LH cover, get access to the motor and I always use a wooden push stick to dislodge the motor since I cant always kill the power. But if it happens again within a few weeks, man you gotta gey yourself a new motor. Your bearings are getting to shot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bosch, dishwasher, impeller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics