Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Dryer GEW9868KQ2 - No Heat

Whirlpool Dryer GEW9868KQ2 -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ronniewoo

ronniewoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

My domestic bliss is at stake. Please help!

Symptom: No heat in Whirlpool Dryer GEW9868KQ2

Solutions Already Tried:
1) Reamed out the exhaust duct.
2) Used ammeter to check Thermal cut-off and High-Level Thermostat. Found that one of them (can't remember which) was bad. I also checked another similar component (can't remember the name) that is installed away from the heating element--toward the center front bottom of the unit--it was still good.
3) Used ammeter to check the heating element and found it measured a normal 10.5 Ohms.
4) Jumpered across the dead part and confirmed that heating element would then heat up properly.
5) Ordered and replaced both components in the "Thermal Cut-Off Kit", 279769 and 3977394.
6) Function was restored to normal--Happy wife!
7) Today received call at work that symptom has returned (two weeks later)--no heat--Unhappy wife.
8) Without testing the parts (I'm still at work), I have concluded that the Thermal Cut-Off failure was a symptom of a bigger problem, not the root cause. Thus, it is likely that the same part failed again.

I have read that a stuck cycling switch may be to blame...

I could purchase an entire new element with thermal cut-off kit included and try that, but I'm not optimistic that this is the root cause either.

Help! Thank you.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

3) Used ammeter to check the heating element and found it measured a normal 10.5 Ohms.

normal reading, but must also test Heating Element for partial short to chassis (ground)
(ammeter is terminology for amp meter .. you were using the OHM meter function)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 ronniewoo

ronniewoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

You're right. Although I can't remember for 100% certain, I am pretty sure that I did check for conductivity between the element and the chassis (with the ohm-meter, not ammeter!). It was open. I definitely do remember looking for a droop in the coil of the element where it might be touching the chassis, and it was not. I assume (probably incorrectly) that if there were a short, it would not have worked for two weeks after the repair, but maybe it just needed that much time to short out again. But I hope there are other possible explanations, because I don't think the element was shorted to ground... Thanks!

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

... I definitely do remember looking for a droop in the coil of the element where it might be touching the chassis, and it was not.
... I assume (probably incorrectly) that if there were a short, it would not have worked for two weeks after the repair,

1) not a definite test .. the Element mag "sag" more when "hot"
2) yes, it could .. if it was partially shorted to chassis, it could work OK as long as the Blower (Drum Motor) was running,
If you open the Door and the Drum Motor (and Blower) stop, the Heating Element is still partially energized, causing heat, without the Blower.

#5 ronniewoo

ronniewoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

So is your recommendation to go ahead and replace the heating element, along with the two thermal cut-off kit parts that plug into the side wall of the heating element? (Do those two parts come included when you buy the heating element?)

Or is there more troubleshooting to be done before making this repair?

Are there any other common causes of "no heat" symptom, other than shorted heating element?

Any merit to the "stuck cycling switch" theory?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

... So is your recommendation to go ahead and replace the heating element,
... along with the two thermal cut-off kit parts that plug into the side wall of the heating element?
... (Do those two parts come included when you buy the heating element?)
... Or is there more troubleshooting to be done before making this repair?

1) no
2) no
3) no
4) test to be sure there is no heat when set to run an "no-heat" Air Fluff Cycle
make sure the Heating Element turns OFF when the Door is opened

#7 ronniewoo

ronniewoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Okay, to be sure I understand, you are advising this:
1) Get back into the unit and do some quick checks to confirm the same part burned out again and there is still no short between element and chassis. If element is shorted or burnt out, replace it--otherwise go to Step 2.
2) Jumper the failed part and confirm we get heat when running a "hot dry" cycle. If not, replace the element and the failed thermal cut-off kit--otherwise go to Step 3.
3) With the failed part still jumpered, run an Air Fluff Cycle and confirm that the element does not heat. If confirmed go to Step 4--if heat continues during Air Fluff cycle then ???
4) With the failed part still jumpered, run a hot dry cycle and then open the door while running to confirm that heating element turns off. If confirmed, then ???. If heating element does not turn off when door is opened then ???

Thanks!

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

that's about right ..
we'll see when (if) we get there

#9 ronniewoo

ronniewoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

Got home, opened her up, and ran some tests. This time I found that the heating element was open--no continuity. Removed the entire assembly and found where the coil had burned in two pieces. The good news is that the Thermal Cut-off Kit parts are still good. So I think I just need to buy a new element and I'll be back in business.

I'm still a bit concerned about why the two failures back-to-back? I hope there isn't another root cause that resulted in both of these failures, and it is just a matter of time before it burns some other part up. Do you know what would cause successive failures of the Thermal Cut-Off and then the Heating Element?

Thanks a lot for your coaching on this.

- Bill
Indianapolis

#10 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

could be a coincidence or it could be that whatever caused the dryer to get hot enuff to blow the cutoff also weakened the element

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

weak / broken Heater Element "sags" then maybe shorts to chassis = blows Thermal

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Link to Element: http://www.repaircli...mber=GEW9868KQ2

Heating-Element-Assembly-3387747-0055804

And check and clean vent - poor venting expedites heater failure.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#13 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Dryer problems are usually pretty simple. (Though I had an Electrolux give me absolute fits once, but that's another story.)

The most common thing I see kill dryers (besides lint) is twisted tangled hose going from dryer to wall. I want a maximum of TWO right angle bends from the dryer to the wall. I've had customers say "oh it vents straight outside" and then I look down and see silver spaghetti behind the unit.

#14 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

While you were cleaning the dryer did you do a thorough vacuuming? Sometimes that lint gets into the heater element area and that causes the element to fail. If the element looks brittle it may have simply been time. Nothing last forever. Last halloween I repaired a dryer similar to yours and took a few photos:

"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics