Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Gas Range 790 79212301

oven light door switch remove range top

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eaksmom

eaksmom

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

I want to change the oven light door switch on my range. I have the part and have watched the video showing how to remove the top to get access to the switch. The guy in the video makes it look so easy to release the clips with his putty knife. I can find no such clips on my range. Is there something different with this model? Help please?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Your oven top should have the spring clips. Did you unscrew the burners from the top first?

#3 eaksmom

eaksmom

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

yes. I have taken all the screws out. I can pry the top up just enough to look under and can't see clips like the one in the video. Something is attached at the front, but looks more like a post type think that the flat clips I see in the video.

would there be a diagram or photo with the top off that would show the clips

#4 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

The diagram shows spring clips, #49 but you never know if there was a design change. Did you try pulling the top forward and then lifting up? Sorry, I screwed that up, thats the wrong diagram, but it is the top of your oven. I can't get the right diagram until the Sears site is back up in the morning unless someone else has it. Posted Image

Edited by SANTA, 31 March 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#5 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Here's the pic of the clips...

Attached Files

Edited by Chat_in_RI, 01 April 2012 - 07:07 AM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#6 eaksmom

eaksmom

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks. I tried pulling the top out,but this was not successful. I have attached 2 photos. The first of the stove top with my knife fully inserted where the clips should be -to show there is nothing there and that the stove top is slightly different than the one in your diagram. The second is taken from the opening of the front right burner looking towards the front of the stove. You can see the two burner control knob holes and between them some sort of metal piece that I think is the clip. But it is different than the one shown on your diagram.

What about those clips at the back? The top seems pretty attached there..

#7 eaksmom

eaksmom

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

I don't think the photos attached properly. I'll try again later when i have access to a pc. I am on tablet right now.

#8 eaksmom

eaksmom

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have figured it out! This range does not have the "clips" referred to in above diagram. Rather you must take off the panel behind the burner knobs. Then you will find a screw attaching the top to the frame. First photo shows the screw. Photo is taken looking upward. You can see burner control just to right and down a bit. Second photo shows the front panel with the hole where the clip would gout not on my range!

Attached Files

#9 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Well thats not in the book. Good job on getting the top off. It's nice to know for future reference. Sometimes Kenmore makes "secret" design changes.

#10 eaksmom

eaksmom

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Ha ha on me. All that and all I have is a very clean range. I still could not access the back side of the oven light door switch as it is below the "pan"? That separates the oven from the range. It looks like you could access by taking the side panel off. But that looks like it requires removal of the oven door and a whole lot more. Lifting the whole pan would require lifting main gas line to the burner manifold. I don't know if this requires some disconnection in the back or how flexible the line is. I did not want to get into it - my weekend is about over. If anyone knows how to access that oven light door switch (or is it an oven door light switch) please tell me. Thanks to all.

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

in one of the "older" service manuals, it says the Top doesn't come off

Is this your Switch ?
Light-Switch-316209903-00706195.jpg

If so, remove Range Power Cord
You may be able to use a pair of needle-nose pliers and twist / pull the old Switch out from the front,
then connect new Switch and snap into place.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#12 eaksmom

eaksmom

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Good gracious where have you been? That took all of 30 seconds

I would agree that that the top of this stove does not really come off

I hope this solution can be easily found by others in future - so they don't waste as much time as I have

Many thanks. I no longer have phantom oven light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics