Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire GLTF2940 Washer Door Lock Control Fubar

gltf2940 door lock solenoid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 notonyourtintype

notonyourtintype

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Old Peculier

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi folks,
I took heart after looking at the other forum that ask "why won't this puppy spin and drain," and with the help I was finding here took my DVM and screwdriver in hand and went hunting. We, too, had been suddenly seeing the machine NOT locking the door and then failing to advance in to spin/drain, leaving about three inches of water and soggy clothes in the drum last night.

This morning doing the Error Code diagnostics, it displayed E41, and when attempting to cancel past that, PAU. Multiple cycles of dropping power at the breaker box (right above the washer) etc. failed to clear.

Door strike looked OK, so tested the continuity across J2... seems open. Pulled the door lock mechanism (reached down from the top, rather than fussing with removing the door boot. Is that kosher, or have I now cursed myself somehow?)

Wax motor measures 1141 ohms, which seems reasonable? Solenoid coil seems to have an open circuit.

So three questions come to mind...

(1) Is the solenoid coil itself a replacement part or do I have to buy the whole door lock assembly? (The rocker latch mechanism, switch contacts etc., inside all seem good).

(2) While I am AWP on this (we live in Panama, with an American spec unit, and would have parts mailed to us via forwarder in Miami, so it could be a week), it seems as if I just jumpered the NO switch contacts on the solenoid side (not the wax motor ones), with the door lock mechanism back in place of course, then the control panel would think the lock had engaged and press on to the next cycle. Does that seem reasonable, or just plain dumb?

(after all, if I promise NOT to try to open the door while the machine's full of water, won't that be okay?)

and

(3) darn, it was there a minute ago...

Thanks in advance!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

... displayed E41
(1) Is the solenoid coil itself a replacement part or do I have to buy the whole door lock assembly?
(2) While I am AWP on this (we live in Panama

E4x is usually a Door Lock problem
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1531974

Door-Switch-131763202-01235823.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 notonyourtintype

notonyourtintype

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Old Peculier

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Cheater cord test on the wax motor verifies it works just fine; the solenoid, though, does not operate when power is applied to it.

I also have reconsidered the "operate without door latch," and given how easily that door pops open... doesn't sound like a good thing to do.

So it looks like a new door latch is in my future...

#4 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Replace lock and latch if it's broken or worn badly!

#5 prairiestr

prairiestr

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Jack

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Latch/switch problems very common.
Replace that puppy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gltf2940, door lock solenoid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics