Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Speed Queen AWN 542 great advice thank you all

Its a year old last week

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 paschal_old

paschal_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I just looked at the PTouch label I put on this machine when I had it delivered and it is now a few days over a year old.

All too often we hammer the appliance gurus here for emergency fix it now advice. (I have been guilty as well.) Last year when I knew the transmission in my 30 year old Kenmore washing machine was on it's last leg, I sought advice here stating pretty close to what my needs were out of a new machine which did not include front load, smelly clothes, nor solid state controls. I had online looked at Speed Queen and threw it out and received several positive votes. I bought their top end toploader, and have not looked back. We wash four to five loads a week, and the washer is on an adjacent wall to my office. It is quiet, it washes clothes beautifully without any twisting torture that I hear about regarding other machines that weigh the clothes etc. and by looking inside, you would think it does not agitate well, but it does. The machine does not shake, rattle, and roll, nor does it walk the floor. Not once, ever, out of balance. Best of all, two more years to go on parts and labor!!!!! (It's a basic washer with few fancy features and may not be right for everyone.)

In addition, I bought from an independant local dealer who gave me a terrific discount vs the retail price. With a moisture sensor dryer, the clothes are dry in less than half the time from the previous washer.

This is not so much a testimonial to the machine as it is to good advice that I get on this forum and the guru's that occupy it. While they may make a living fixing appliances, you also get a straight shot when you ask about reliability.

Thanks gurus

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 eveready service

eveready service

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:miller high life

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

I think S.Q. is the only way to go now to get the most for your $

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yes, I think Speed Queen fixed all the shortcuts Maytag took when they bought the Amana washer and dryer line. What a horror story the Maytag SAV washers and the SDE/SDG dryers were. If I encounter those washers and dryers and it's not a simple cost effective repair, I condemn them.
Scott Wolf

#4 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Sun Tea

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

I just looked at the PTouch label I put on this machine when I had it delivered and it is now a few days over a year old.

All too often we hammer the appliance gurus here for emergency fix it now advice. (I have been guilty as well.) Last year when I knew the transmission in my 30 year old Kenmore washing machine was on it's last leg, I sought advice here stating pretty close to what my needs were out of a new machine which did not include front load, smelly clothes, nor solid state controls. I had online looked at Speed Queen and threw it out and received several positive votes. I bought their top end toploader, and have not looked back. We wash four to five loads a week, and the washer is on an adjacent wall to my office. It is quiet, it washes clothes beautifully without any twisting torture that I hear about regarding other machines that weigh the clothes etc. and by looking inside, you would think it does not agitate well, but it does. The machine does not shake, rattle, and roll, nor does it walk the floor. Not once, ever, out of balance. Best of all, two more years to go on parts and labor!!!!! (It's a basic washer with few fancy features and may not be right for everyone.)

In addition, I bought from an independant local dealer who gave me a terrific discount vs the retail price. With a moisture sensor dryer, the clothes are dry in less than half the time from the previous washer.

This is not so much a testimonial to the machine as it is to good advice that I get on this forum and the guru's that occupy it. While they may make a living fixing appliances, you also get a straight shot when you ask about reliability.

Thanks gurus

Could you pass the model # of dryer....we are in the market for a good set and after seeing and working the on crap in production now days I would dread buying a new set from a big box store.

Also read on a amazon post http://www.amazon.co...rd_i=B0027Y2ZH8 this machine is that it's about to become extinct? Is that true???

Edited by rolandvz71, 10 November 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Speed Queen uses a few different Transmissions (depending on model) in their Top Load Washers

AWN542 still available
http://www.ajmadison.com/ sells SQ Washers & Dryers

the "good" Whirlpool Top-Loaders started disappearing about a year ago (no longer made)
There may still be a few around ...
http://appliantology...d-washer-dryer/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 paschal_old

paschal_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

King Size blankets quilts pillows.....Speed Queen washer never a hiccup!!!!! I did not purchase the Matching Speed Queen Dryer as I still have a scratch and dent Kenmore doing a good job which I paid half price for. As far as dryers are concerned, and I am not a pro, with the unit I have, the moisture sensor works very well. I have never used timed dry with it. Only on a very few occasions I have had to re-run the dry cycle. I am sure this is saving money and preventing me from baking the clothes......The sensor adds $75 to $100 to the average cost of a dryer, but to me well worth it. The other gotta have feature for a dryer is the auto or programmable tumbler that runs after the clothes are dry. It really does cut down on wrinkles........................so that is my input as far as dryers are concerned.

#7 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

I didnt know these were still in production. What is the transmission, any idea?
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

I didnt know these were still in production. What is the transmission, any idea?

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1032764

Transmission-12002177-00784905.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1032764

Transmission-12002177-00784905.jpg

So of the Speed Queen top loader models in production right now AWN542S, AWN412S, AWN432S they all use the tranny pictured above? AKA.....The better kind. Is that correct?

http://www.ajmadison...N~37 4294967285

#10 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Wow...At least this country is still able to produce one thing that isnt throw away junk...I may have to reassess.
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

I carry these model numbers in my note book in case some one asks what is a model to purchase that is not a front loader.........AWN 542.............AWN 432.........AWN 412.......... Go to Speed Queen's site, you will find those models with matching dryers ............Found the price for the AWN 542 for about $ 800 clams........Sounds like quite a bit , but if you can go 5 or more years with no repairs AND made in the U.S. of A..................Just repaired a K/M labeled W/P...( M..110.28002010 )....13 months old with a stripped spline on the drive block................Just got a 19 year old S.Q. model AWM 492, not a scratch on it, just needs a motor............ popped in a used motor, new pump, new belt. I think I will sell for about $250.00........ I bump into people that did not fix their old units, " I will just get a new machine." they say.. They are singing a different tune after a few loads in the new 'water saver units'..."Did not want to spend too much money on a new machine ".

#12 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

I carry these model numbers in my note book in case some one asks what is a model to purchase that is not a front loader.........AWN 542.............AWN 432.........AWN 412.......... Go to Speed Queen's site, you will find those models with matching dryers ............Found the price for the AWN 542 for about $ 800 clams........Sounds like quite a bit , but if you can go 5 or more years with no repairs AND made in the U.S. of A..................Just repaired a K/M labeled W/P...( M..110.28002010 )....13 months old with a stripped spline on the drive block................Just got a 19 year old S.Q. model AWM 492, not a scratch on it, just needs a motor............ popped in a used motor, new pump, new belt. I think I will sell for about $250.00........ I bump into people that did not fix their old units, " I will just get a new machine." they say.. They are singing a different tune after a few loads in the new 'water saver units'..."Did not want to spend too much money on a new machine ".

Well said....I am sold!! We will be getting a new set w/our tax return $$$.

Now the question is does S.Q. make a good front loader? If so, how does one make up their mind.......front load or top load?

I would think S.Q. front load consummer line would mimick or take pages from the commerical lines.....am I wrong?

Really a trade off......

Front loaders uses less water, but spends more electricty and top loaders are vice versa.....correct?

thx lots of good input here.....

#13 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

So no answer......does anyone know?

#14 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

I will type slower.. :blinky: ...................Go to Google ............. type in 'Speedqueen.com'.............Under 'products' you will find 'washer front load' (2) models...............you can pick out the models and read the specs.................They do not show the price.........Take the model number and do a web search to find your local distributor and price...............They even have 'vended' machines , ( coin-op. ) that will force you to save for the water and electric bill.............................P.S... to be honest, I have a customer that bought two S.Q. machines at the same time for their motel........7 to 8 loads a day per machine.......A timer quit after 4 months on one machine........... I think I will chock it up as a fluke ( 90 day commercial warranty ) .......Replaced the timer and it is keeping up with it's brother..............

Edited by certified tech group 51, 13 November 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#15 paschal_old

paschal_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I love the old excuse to just go buy a new energy saver thing. They are filling up the landfills right and left, but we are saving a few gallons of water. The problem in this country and others is pandering ecology at the expense of quality via government mandate with no regard of a balance between the two. Do not know about the SQ front loaders but work with a lot of people who bought other brand fancy front loaders and bragged about them until they owned them almost two or three weeks and then had nightmares of them walking out of the W/D room and attacking them in their beds or thinking that a Boeing 777 was about to crash into their house. Then there are the majority of those fancy front loader owners that swear 10 dead and decomposed animals are in their washing machine and call animal control, as when you spend $1500 bucks and save water, no way that filthy stench could be coming from the washing machine, that is also causing your clothes to smell bad, and no, do not ask me why young mosquitoes are flying out of your washing machine. I have always heard this thing about stagnant water, mosquitoes, germs, bacteria, bad odors, but I am just not one of those folks who want to spend $1500 to have that "Special Experience". All I wanted the last time around was what I have had for the last 45 years....a machine that washed my clothes to a point of cleanliness, and if I could not find one, I know where I can pick up a washtub and roller model, which I should do anyway. That way if I wanted to emulate a modern machine, just never empty the water from the tub let it sit for a week or so, add more water and wash the next load. That should recreate the same smell as from a modern machine. If I would go buy the roller mode, hmmm same smell, save $1300, very tempting!!!!!!!!!

#16 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

Speed Queen front load washers are made by Heubsch, which is a commercial line of laundry equipment, and both brands are owned by Alliance Laundry Systems, LLC.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics