Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cannot release top spring clips on Whirlpool WTW5600XW0 Cabrio

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Rich

Mr_Rich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm such an idiot I cannot get the spring clips to release. I've tried a stiff putty knife and I can see them with a flashlight and push on them but they do not move. Any suggestions?

It's not from lack of force I'm a big guy and am really leaning into it.

Thanks
Rich

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

Get a really stiff putty knife and band it with the palm of your hand while lifting the lid and it will come - sometimes a Bear
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Mr_Rich

Mr_Rich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

I've just seemed to have bent them up from the bottom cabinent. Is the object to get the blade of the putty knife between the rolled over edge of the top and the spring clip or to push the spring clip back with the front edge of the putty knife?

I can hear the change in the borrom of the tub and need to remove this to get the inner tub out to clean out he washer.

This is incredibly frustrating, I've read the dissambley instrucitions and watched the videos it si just not working for me.

I really appreciate the help.

Rich

#4 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

pushb the spring clip back with putty knife pull up

#5 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

You might have to get rough with it and use a sturdy large flat blade screwdriver. Jam it in there and pry up on the lid. By now your too pissed off to worry about chipping the paint.

#6 Mr_Rich

Mr_Rich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Now that I have the top off how do I remove the inner tub. See the picture, there is a center metal hub with a brass splined shaft sticking up. I removed the six philips head screws but how do I get the hub to release from the shaft?

Posted Image

This is the hub.

Posted Image

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 05 April 2012 - 10:42 PM.
Made images appear correctly.

#7 Mr_Rich

Mr_Rich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 05 April 2012 - 10:43 PM.
Made image appear correctly.

#8 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

This isn't the normal Cabrio, this is the new version that is not a direct drive and lacks a recirculation pump. The proper removal of the top involves taking the hinge screws and other screws off the back and pulling the top forward a bit than up to clear a tab on each side. IMO it's a stupid design

The basket is removed by removing the spanner nut, its that galvanized thing maybe 2.5 inches in diameter just above where you took the 6 screws out.The original whirlpool direct drive spanner wrench will work or use a punch and hammer.

Put the 6 screws back in the basket hub before you try to pull the basket.

• I wish those shit heads at Whirlpool had not called this a Cabrio...it's confusing the customers, salespeople, and service staff too.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

# 7 Screw
# 8 Driven Hub
# 9 Basket Block

# 10 Spanner Nut
included in kit W10324651 $ 31
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1877235

more info:
http://appliantology...se-replacement/
W1006093-00003.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Mr_Rich

Mr_Rich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Nickfixit and RegUS_PatOff. I'll try this tomorrow night after I replace the six screws.

After I forced the top off I relized it would be removed by taking out the two pieces from the back and sliding it forward. No damage a little touch up paint won't fix..

Rich

#11 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Sorry for my destructive post Mr_Rich. I didn't realize the new cabrio has the same top design as the new maytag centennial.

#12 Mr_Rich

Mr_Rich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

I still can't get the stupid tub out. I removed the spanner nut but cannot get the tub loose. I read the attached link but I concerned with dropping the transmission out of the bottom.

I've held the inner tup up and beaten the splined shaft with a hammer and block of wood with no movement.

Does anyone have any more advice?

Rich

#13 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

i have had trouble with getting these tubs out before. i take the screws out and take off the top piece of the hub, then repeatedly pull up on the basket after spraying some oil on the shaft...makes me scared of when these machines are older...all corroded after 6 months to a year

#14 Mr_Rich

Mr_Rich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

That was the ticket. I got it apart finally and found bobbie pins artially jamming the pump. It must have been erroring on pump out.

Thanks everyone.
Rich

#15 Mr_Rich

Mr_Rich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

That does not fix my original problem of the washer failing during the spin cycle. The lid lock light flashes and the washer stops. Any suggestions?

Rich

#16 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

were you able to pull the error codes, most times that i see the lid lock light flash its a speed sensor error, the speed sensor is part of the shifter mech, when the ccu loses track of how fast the basket is spinning it shuts down but wont open the lid because it thinks it might still be spinning

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Tip for removing the top panel and tub from the NEW versions of the Whirlpool Cabrio washers

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 08 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Just when we were getting used to the old Whirlpool Cabrio (and Maytag Bravo and Kenmore Oasis) washers-- not liking them, mind you-- but getting used to working on this cheesy bucket of bolts, Whirlpool goes and changes the design. Two things in particular that have changed that affect how the washer is disassembled is the top panel and tub...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics