Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Mr_Rich

Cannot release top spring clips on Whirlpool WTW5600XW0 Cabrio

16 posts in this topic

I'm such an idiot I cannot get the spring clips to release. I've tried a stiff putty knife and I can see them with a flashlight and push on them but they do not move. Any suggestions?

It's not from lack of force I'm a big guy and am really leaning into it.

Thanks

Rich

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Get a really stiff putty knife and band it with the palm of your hand while lifting the lid and it will come - sometimes a Bear

I've just seemed to have bent them up from the bottom cabinent. Is the object to get the blade of the putty knife between the rolled over edge of the top and the spring clip or to push the spring clip back with the front edge of the putty knife?

I can hear the change in the borrom of the tub and need to remove this to get the inner tub out to clean out he washer.

This is incredibly frustrating, I've read the dissambley instrucitions and watched the videos it si just not working for me.

I really appreciate the help.

Rich

pushb the spring clip back with putty knife pull up

You might have to get rough with it and use a sturdy large flat blade screwdriver. Jam it in there and pry up on the lid. By now your too pissed off to worry about chipping the paint.

Now that I have the top off how do I remove the inner tub. See the picture, there is a center metal hub with a brass splined shaft sticking up. I removed the six philips head screws but how do I get the hub to release from the shaft?

TubOuter.jpg

This is the hub.

TubOuter.jpg

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Made images appear correctly.

TubInner.jpg Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Made image appear correctly.

This isn't the normal Cabrio, this is the new version that is not a direct drive and lacks a recirculation pump. The proper removal of the top involves taking the hinge screws and other screws off the back and pulling the top forward a bit than up to clear a tab on each side. IMO it's a stupid design

The basket is removed by removing the spanner nut, its that galvanized thing maybe 2.5 inches in diameter just above where you took the 6 screws out.The original whirlpool direct drive spanner wrench will work or use a punch and hammer.

Put the 6 screws back in the basket hub before you try to pull the basket.

1. I wish those shit heads at Whirlpool had not called this a Cabrio...it's confusing the customers, salespeople, and service staff too.

Thanks Nickfixit and RegUS_PatOff. I'll try this tomorrow night after I replace the six screws.

After I forced the top off I relized it would be removed by taking out the two pieces from the back and sliding it forward. No damage a little touch up paint won't fix..

Rich

Sorry for my destructive post Mr_Rich. I didn't realize the new cabrio has the same top design as the new maytag centennial.

I still can't get the stupid tub out. I removed the spanner nut but cannot get the tub loose. I read the attached link but I concerned with dropping the transmission out of the bottom.

I've held the inner tup up and beaten the splined shaft with a hammer and block of wood with no movement.

Does anyone have any more advice?

Rich

i have had trouble with getting these tubs out before. i take the screws out and take off the top piece of the hub, then repeatedly pull up on the basket after spraying some oil on the shaft...makes me scared of when these machines are older...all corroded after 6 months to a year

That was the ticket. I got it apart finally and found bobbie pins artially jamming the pump. It must have been erroring on pump out.

Thanks everyone.

Rich

That does not fix my original problem of the washer failing during the spin cycle. The lid lock light flashes and the washer stops. Any suggestions?

Rich

were you able to pull the error codes, most times that i see the lid lock light flash its a speed sensor error, the speed sensor is part of the shifter mech, when the ccu loses track of how fast the basket is spinning it shuts down but wont open the lid because it thinks it might still be spinning