Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FredSmith

Kenmore Elite HE5T model 110.47086600 door latch problem

4 posts in this topic

My six year old Kenmore Elite front loading HE5T washing machine does not latch properly and will not start ever since my five year old "fixed" it with a screwdriver. I can press the button above the latch and then it does start. When I try to close the door it does not latch properly and hence does not push in far enough to press the button. I don't see any obstructions in the female part of the latch. The male part of the latch is loose and slides from side to side, but I think that is normal.

Repair man wants $400 to replace all the parts. I cannot believe my five year old did that much damage. I am sure this is a simple tweak, but I have no experience and don't know where to start.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I removed the latch assembly (part no 8183270) to see if the nub was broken as described here but my latch assembly looks different.

Inside the latch there is a white rocking piece that blocks the male piece from going in all the way. I don't see anything obvious broken.

Should I just replace the latch?

Check that the door strike is complete and intact - broken peice may be wedged in latch, otherwise screwdriver has sprung the clasp in the latch to the closed/locked position and replacement of the latch will be required.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0