Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite HE5T model 110.47086600 door latch problem

Kenmore HE5T door latch 110.47086600

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FredSmith

FredSmith

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

My six year old Kenmore Elite front loading HE5T washing machine does not latch properly and will not start ever since my five year old "fixed" it with a screwdriver. I can press the button above the latch and then it does start. When I try to close the door it does not latch properly and hence does not push in far enough to press the button. I don't see any obstructions in the female part of the latch. The male part of the latch is loose and slides from side to side, but I think that is normal.

Repair man wants $400 to replace all the parts. I cannot believe my five year old did that much damage. I am sure this is a simple tweak, but I have no experience and don't know where to start.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Start with one of these: (video in link)

http://www.repaircli...er=110.47086600

Latch-Assembly-8183270-01222101.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 FredSmith

FredSmith

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

I removed the latch assembly (part no 8183270) to see if the nub was broken as described here but my latch assembly looks different.

Inside the latch there is a white rocking piece that blocks the male piece from going in all the way. I don't see anything obvious broken.

Should I just replace the latch?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Check that the door strike is complete and intact - broken peice may be wedged in latch, otherwise screwdriver has sprung the clasp in the latch to the closed/locked position and replacement of the latch will be required.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics