Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

My Whirlpool LSR5233AWO washer, agitator spins freely clockwise after replacing clutch dogs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 homemaker

homemaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Ok, before replacing the feed dogs on my washing machine, the agitator spun freely both ways. But if I pushed down on it it would work ok. I took it out, replaced the feed dogs, put it back in and expected that my $10 had just solved my problem. But.. now it is still not working unless I push down the top. The whole time it is agitating with a load of clothes, it just spins clockwise, until I push it down slightly with my hand. Could I have put it together wrong? Or is there a problem with some other part? I read somewhere that it should only spin counter clock wise??

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Is the tub full of water and clothes?
Or just barely full?

Edited by RussTech, 05 April 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

full model number ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 homemaker

homemaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I think the model number is LSR5233AWO.

It was full of water and a fairly large load of clothes.

#5 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

I read somewhere that it should only spin counter clock wise??

No, you have the directions backward.

If the machine is not running, transmission is in neutral mode (as after the final spin is finished), and you grab the top of the agitator (auger) and turn it back and forth by hand ... the auger section should rotate freely *clockwise* ... and when turned counter-clockwise it should latch to the agitator base and turn it as well. That's the purpose of the clutch dogs ... the auger "slips" in one direction and is driven by the agitator base in the other direction.

If the agitator *base* is turned back and forth (rapidly, which is what the transmission does when the machine is running in agitate mode), the *opposite* of the above takes place: The auger "slips" when the base turns counterclockwise and is driven when the base turns clockwise .... so the spiral can push the clothes down toward the base.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,909 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

I think the model number is LSR5233AWO.

Topic title edited.

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

when you put the agitator back together, it's possible that two white alignment tabs got folded under and have the top section slightly too high and tilted, just enough to cause poor locking and unlocking of the dogs, When I take the top section off, I break those tabs off flush with a flat blade screwdriver, That way, when i put it back together, the top section fits correctly. Was there a washer between the lower segment and the upper one? If that is gone, it will cause poor function of the upper segment, even with new dogs.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Link to replacement parts:  http://www.repaircli...mber=LSR5233AW0

Agitator-Repair-Kit-285811-00841524.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#9 homemaker

homemaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the help. I am running another load and holding the agitator down out of pure desperation (can't handle the laundry mountains any longer) but when it is through I will try taking it apart and reassembling carefully. I don't recall there being a washer between the upper and lower segment, and I thought there should have been... I will look carefully and see if that went missing somewhere in the process.

#10 homemaker

homemaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Oh, I also noticed that the top portion of the agitator wobbles a bit from side to side.. could this be a sign something is wrong, or is this normal?

#11 homemaker

homemaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

OK, I took it apart and reassembled it carefully, making sure everything lined up properly. There was no sign of a washer between the upper and lower agitators. With a full load of clothes and water, the top portion of the agitator is still spinning around clockwise during the agitating cycle. I can make it agitate properly easily with one hand. I'm certain the feed dogs are working properly after thoroughly reading DADoESTX post above and testing it.

I would be willing to buy the kit above it I was certain it would solve my problem... I'm concerned there might be a deeper problem. Any thoughts?

#12 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

With a full load of clothes and water, the top portion of the agitator is still spinning around clockwise during the agitating cycle.

I'm not understanding why that's a problem, being as the auger is *supposed* to rotate clockwise during agitation.

I can make it agitate properly easily with one hand. I'm certain the feed dogs are working properly after thoroughly reading DADoESTX post above and testing it.

What exactly do you mean when you say "agitate properly?" What is your description of proper agitation?

Can you put a video on YouTube of what you view as being incorrect agitation vs. proper agitation?

#13 homemaker

homemaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hmm, maybe I'm confused because of how it used to agitate, and perhaps that was improperly agitating then? I don't have the option of uploading a video, but I just youtubed some videos of washers agitating correctly and they're doing exactly what my washer is doing now and what you say is correct. Before this washer "broke" the top agitator moved back and forth and the clothes were continually circulating quite a bit. (After it broke it did nothing -- just stayed stationary during agitation but could spin both ways) Now it's spinning around in a circle but the clothes are barely moving -- only the bottom ones are actually being agitated and cleaned. (When I ran a load through that included some shorts the husband mowed in, the shorts floated on top in the washer and came out of the dryer still smelling like grass.) If I manually make the agitator move back and forth, the clothes begin stirring around.

Is it possible this problem is as simple as not enough clothes to water ratio?

#14 homemaker

homemaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Here is a video I found of a washer agitating -- the agitator is moving in jerky clockwise motion. Mine just goes around and around without a care in the world.

#15 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

If your worn dogs have been replaced and they're latching and releasing in the proper directions, it's unlikely you have a problem.

The video you linked above is of a much older belt-drive washer. Agitation runs at a slower 68 strokes per minute on a wider arc than your direct-drive unit (180 SPM on high speed on a shorter arc). That being said, both augers work to the same function.

You are correct that *more* water with *less* clothes will make for reduced interaction between the clothes and auger ... which may make it spin around faster and more continuously. The lowest water level typically is below the auger so there's no way for it to contact the clothes and again it may simply spin around, particularly due to inertia at high speed agitation. That's normal.

Here's a video showing the effect, advance the clip to the 10-min point. Completely normal.

And another video, I believe of the same machine, with clothes, and the auger turning more rhythmically due to interaction with the clothes. Advance to about 11:20 to catch start of agitation. Notice that the auger occasionally spins a little faster and longer if it looses the "grip" on the clothes. Again, completely normal. (IMO, this is a bit underloaded.)

#16 homemaker

homemaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks so much for those videos, I think I understand now! I've always been paranoid about overloading my washing machine -- now I think I must err on the overcautious side. I will try more clothes and give it a go. Thanks so much for your help.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

The DADoESTX Method for checking the agitator dogs in a Whirlpool direct-drive washer

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 05 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Chief DADoESTX instructs us on how to check the agitator dogs (or "dawgs" as we say at UGA) to make sure they're grabbing when they're supposed to...

[quote name='homemaker'...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics