Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trevorstorey

How do you remove a dryer motor shaft from stuck blower wheel thread?

5 posts in this topic

Hello I have a standard Kenmore/Whirlpool dryer motor (with wiring harness clip) newer model. I am trying to replace a a bad motor with a good one. The problem is:

1) The plastic square head blower wheel part which you thread the motor shaft into got stripped and I had to cut the blower wheel away from the motor to get it out of the dryer. But the motor shaft still has the blower wheel's metal threaded coupling attached to it.

2) I tried putting the motor pulley end in my counter-top-mounted vice grip and using channel locks to try and unscrew the blower wheel metal coupling with no success. This seemed to me the strongest grip I could get on the coupling to unscrew it.

Question: Is there any easier or more efficient way to get this blower wheel coupling off so I can thread the motor shaft into the new blower wheel?

Thank you very much!

Here is a picture of the metal coupling I am talking about:

post-70038-0-27132700-1333910299_thumb.j

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

it's left hand threaded, try some heat on it first.

I believe it unthreads normal ( L off, R tighten). How would heating help it and what type of heat should I apply?

Thanks

yes, you're right I'm thinking from the inside of the dryer. The heat will break free any loctite type bond and the expansion of the coupler will help break it free mechanically. A regular propane torch will work, maybe 1 minute direct flame on the coupler.

Can't really answer the question rather it's Left or Right hand threads without a model #

If this is a Whirlpool built Kenmore with the lint filter that pulls out from the top then it will be opposite of normal threads, (clockwise/right to remove looking directly at the blower shaft).

I can't remember if the Whirlpools with the lint filter in the door/blower in front is also clockwise/right hand to remove also or not?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0