Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How do you remove a dryer motor shaft from stuck blower wheel thread?

Kenmore motor blower wheel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trevorstorey

trevorstorey

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homebrewed IPA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hello I have a standard Kenmore/Whirlpool dryer motor (with wiring harness clip) newer model. I am trying to replace a a bad motor with a good one. The problem is:

1) The plastic square head blower wheel part which you thread the motor shaft into got stripped and I had to cut the blower wheel away from the motor to get it out of the dryer. But the motor shaft still has the blower wheel's metal threaded coupling attached to it.

2) I tried putting the motor pulley end in my counter-top-mounted vice grip and using channel locks to try and unscrew the blower wheel metal coupling with no success. This seemed to me the strongest grip I could get on the coupling to unscrew it.

Question: Is there any easier or more efficient way to get this blower wheel coupling off so I can thread the motor shaft into the new blower wheel?

Thank you very much!

Here is a picture of the metal coupling I am talking about:
Attached File  IMG_0412.jpg   127.41KB   5 downloads

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

it's left hand threaded, try some heat on it first.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 trevorstorey

trevorstorey

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homebrewed IPA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

I believe it unthreads normal ( L off, R tighten). How would heating help it and what type of heat should I apply?

Thanks

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

yes, you're right I'm thinking from the inside of the dryer. The heat will break free any loctite type bond and the expansion of the coupler will help break it free mechanically. A regular propane torch will work, maybe 1 minute direct flame on the coupler.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

Can't really answer the question rather it's Left or Right hand threads without a model #

If this is a Whirlpool built Kenmore with the lint filter that pulls out from the top then it will be opposite of normal threads, (clockwise/right to remove looking directly at the blower shaft).

I can't remember if the Whirlpools with the lint filter in the door/blower in front is also clockwise/right hand to remove also or not?
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics