Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite oven 790.79363401 door not closing fully at top, light flickers

Kenmore Elite Door Not closing Light flickering

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bc3

bc3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

This stove is driving me nuts.. every time the friggin cat walks past it (or anyone else for that matter) - the oven light goes on and off.

It certainly isn't over used, no apparent bending of metal or hinges and nothing blocking the top of the door from seating fully against the seal.

I took the door off and reset it..didn't make a difference. I can push the door closed to a point that it looks like it should be, but it just falls back outwards.

I tried searching, but couldn't come up with a fix. I did see a post that said there were some models that were shipped with weak return springs?.

Thanks! Bc3

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,429 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Door adjustments on stoves can be really problematic. If the door is not warped I would try replacing the hinges. Get the hinge kit from repairclinic and you can return it if it doesn't solve your problem (click on image) Until you get it, simply unscrew the light bulb for peace of mind.

Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 09 April 2012 - 10:17 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 bc3

bc3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Are these hinges any different from what the stove originally came with? (. Are they stronger with respect to the spring return?)

Thanks, bc3

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Probably, and I think that the receivers in the kit are a little beefier, less likely to wear and bend.. They have to be replaced as a set, as the old hinges will not go into the new receivers. The service flash really doesn't go into the reason for the changes.

Edited by Chat_in_RI, 09 April 2012 - 06:45 PM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

The hinges aren't the cause of the problem, it's the receivers on the body of the range.

The door gets dropped down hard or someone leans on it and it bends the receivers in just a slight bit, (you can hardly tell they are bent).

If the new receivers in the kit are actually beefier than that would probably be the way to go otherwise you could order just two of the receivers and save quite a bit, (from the pictures of the hinge kit the receivers look to me to be the same flimsy ones that are originally installed).

Hinge receptacle/receiver only: 316407000 would need to order two @ $15.50 each, about half the price of the complete kit.
http://www.repaircli...6407000/1056152
Posted Image
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,429 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

(you can hardly tell they are bent).

Now you tell me! *#^@&*%! well I guess I should have asked you guys when I faced this problem last year!

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Pin in the receiver is black in the kit, and shiney in the original, I believe it is a harder steel (who knows)... Have straigtened a few bent receivers by locking the hinges and lifting the door to gently bend the receivers back into place... but this seems to work only for awhile... and end up replacing them in the long run...
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

It's not the pin that bends, I figured out that the lower part on the hinge that butts against the front bottom side of the receiver actually dents the receiver in at that area.

I repaired one set of these by making sure the receiver was straight and used a punch chisel to force bent in area back out, they only lasted for 3 or 4 months and they bent again. Replaced them with new receivers and haven't heard back, it's been about 6 or 7 months ago.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 11 April 2012 - 05:34 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenmore, Elite, Door, Not closing, Light flickering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics