Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

PSW23PSWASS GE Side by Side - access to mainboard

Ice thaw defrost icicle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cjdwight

cjdwight

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Widmer Wheat

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have a GE side by side PSW23PSWASS with the dreaded temperature irregularities and thawing ice in the ice tray. We've had some pretty good power surges this year, and I'm thinking the motherboard is fried. Once repaired, I'll be sure to place a good surge suppressor between the outlet and the fridge. For now, the fun upside is the spectacular icicle that grows inside my freezer.

Looking at the back of the fridge, the motherboard access panel is obvious. The challenge I foresee is that the screws on the right side of the panel (when looking at the back of the fridge) are covered by the freezer-side side cladding. I have removed the top trim and yet cannot find any way to remove or move the side cladding to gain access to the motherboard panel. Any suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

The first thing I would do is check to see if you have the "older" style Thermistors
(2) in the Freezer and (1) in the Fridge
http://fixitnow.com/...ed-thermistors/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 cjdwight

cjdwight

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Will definitely check the thermistors - not sure which would be easiest to access. I'll study the drawings a bit and figure out where to start. Meanwhile I can make a nice cocktail for my wife using my giant icicle as both a drink chiller and cocktail stir stick. Still curious how to remove the side cladding - why they designed the thing to cover up the motherboard panel is beyond me.

#4 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Some of these have a small phillips screw holding that panel. Remove it and pull the panel aside enough to remove access cover.

#5 cjdwight

cjdwight

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

There are two phillips head screws, one near the top and one near the bottom of the side panel on the back of the fridge - I removed both of these (after removing the top trim panel), but the side panel wouldn't budge. I looked all around and could not see any other fasteners. I felt along the bottom of the trim panel, and could not feel any fasteners on the bottom. I'm a bit perplexed on how the panel is attached. The cladding parts diagram doesn't show anything helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics