Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
txgp17

Maytag pyet344ayw dryer won't work on automatic.

11 posts in this topic

For years now our Maytag pyet344ayw electric dryer wouldn't work on automatic. It would end the cycle too soon with the clothes still wet.

We got by using the timed cycles for a long time, but last week the timer stopped working altogether. If you start a cycle, it runs until you stop it manually.

I'm planning on replacing the timer switch, but searching the parts lists, I cannot find any description for a moisture sensor, water sensor, humidity sensor, or what ever term they use to describe that component that which detects the moistness of the clothes. Can anyone tell me where it is, and what part number is it?

Thanx in advance for any help you have.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

sounds kike youre going to need a timer,but without kooking ata schematic you may also need a resistor or stat for auto dry. do you have wiring diagram?

that model doesn't use a "moisture sensor"
The Timer Motor is paused until It senses the clothes are dry by the rise in temperature to the rated Operating Thermostat temperature,
then it enables the Timer Motor.
In the Auto-Dry cycle, if it never reaches the Operating temperature, the Timer won't move.

What are the Vent temperatures ?
Dryer Vent

Vent should be rigid metal.
Short lengths of flexible metal may be OK, if not crimped when moving the Dryer into place.
NO plastic
NO PVC
NO screws
Foil Duct Tape is OK.
With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F
Check / clean the Dryer Vent
Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.
Check the Vent air temperature at the back of the Dryer.

Well, I replaced the timer switch today, darn that was expensive. Now the dryer works on the timed setting, shutting off as designed when the timer reaches zero. But it still doesn't work on the automatic setting, shutting off very soon after you start it, with the clothes still soaking wet.

I put the unit on timed with the temperature set on "regular". After allowing it to run for a several minutes, I put my infrared thermometer on the dryer hose, showing 87º F, but this was with a load of wet towels I put in there just to test it. My home is a townhouse with the dryer vent traveling vertical for reaching the exterior of the home.

... My home is a townhouse with the dryer vent traveling vertical for reaching the exterior of the home.

With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F

Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.

Well, I got a cleaning kit from Home Depot. I ran it in 8' from one end, then 16' from the outside, plus cleaned the inside hose. Wow there was a lot of lint in there.

Then, with the drum empty, I set the temp to regular, and let it go on the timed setting. After about 10 minutes, the infrared thermometer showed the dryer hose was 95º F.

what's the total length of the Vent

how many 90 elbows ?

is any of it "flexible"

is any of it enclosed in the ceiling or walls ?

air temperature should be measured at the back of the Dryer with the Vent removed

(infrared thermometer not recommended)

meat thermometer should work

The temp reading of taking a reading of the temp of the vent duct with a IR thermometer is irrelevant.

Must use a probe type thermometer like RegUS posted in #3 above, measuring temp of air flow.

If you have cleaned the complete vent duct, (8' from one end and 16' from the other as you say and the vent duct is less then 24'), then most likely your auto-dry cycle will work OK now. A plugged up vent won't allow the temp to get high enough to cycle the t-stat and let the timer advance in auto-cycle.

Finished the cleaning, man was it it bad bad shape. I have an outlet on the roof and it was

I put my meat thermometer into the air outlet, and it did indeed cycle between 165º and 135º. I also cut the flexible vent hose to as short as I could get it.

Threw in a load of wet laundry, started the automatic cycle, and it worked properly. Thanx a milllion guys.

Nice work. You solved the problems and should see significant better performance from the dryer.

Now just keep up with it on a yearly bases or possibly every other year and it shouldn't get that way again.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0