Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag pyet344ayw dryer won't work on automatic.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 txgp17

txgp17

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Oak

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

For years now our Maytag pyet344ayw electric dryer wouldn't work on automatic. It would end the cycle too soon with the clothes still wet.

We got by using the timed cycles for a long time, but last week the timer stopped working altogether. If you start a cycle, it runs until you stop it manually.

I'm planning on replacing the timer switch, but searching the parts lists, I cannot find any description for a moisture sensor, water sensor, humidity sensor, or what ever term they use to describe that component that which detects the moistness of the clothes. Can anyone tell me where it is, and what part number is it?

Thanx in advance for any help you have.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tommytech

tommytech

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:guiness

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

sounds kike youre going to need a timer,but without kooking ata schematic you may also need a resistor or stat for auto dry. do you have wiring diagram?

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

that model doesn't use a "moisture sensor"
The Timer Motor is paused until It senses the clothes are dry by the rise in temperature to the rated Operating Thermostat temperature,
then it enables the Timer Motor.
In the Auto-Dry cycle, if it never reaches the Operating temperature, the Timer won't move.

What are the Vent temperatures ?
Dryer Vent

Vent should be rigid metal.
Short lengths of flexible metal may be OK, if not crimped when moving the Dryer into place.
NO plastic
NO PVC
NO screws
Foil Duct Tape is OK.
With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F
Check / clean the Dryer Vent
Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.
Check the Vent air temperature at the back of the Dryer.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 txgp17

txgp17

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Well, I replaced the timer switch today, darn that was expensive. Now the dryer works on the timed setting, shutting off as designed when the timer reaches zero. But it still doesn't work on the automatic setting, shutting off very soon after you start it, with the clothes still soaking wet.

I put the unit on timed with the temperature set on "regular". After allowing it to run for a several minutes, I put my infrared thermometer on the dryer hose, showing 87º F, but this was with a load of wet towels I put in there just to test it. My home is a townhouse with the dryer vent traveling vertical for reaching the exterior of the home.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

... My home is a townhouse with the dryer vent traveling vertical for reaching the exterior of the home.

With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F

Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.

#6 txgp17

txgp17

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Well, I got a cleaning kit from Home Depot. I ran it in 8' from one end, then 16' from the outside, plus cleaned the inside hose. Wow there was a lot of lint in there.

Then, with the drum empty, I set the temp to regular, and let it go on the timed setting. After about 10 minutes, the infrared thermometer showed the dryer hose was 95º F.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

what's the total length of the Vent
how many 90 elbows ?
is any of it "flexible"
is any of it enclosed in the ceiling or walls ?
air temperature should be measured at the back of the Dryer with the Vent removed
(infrared thermometer not recommended)
meat thermometer should work

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

The temp reading of taking a reading of the temp of the vent duct with a IR thermometer is irrelevant.

Must use a probe type thermometer like RegUS posted in #3 above, measuring temp of air flow.

If you have cleaned the complete vent duct, (8' from one end and 16' from the other as you say and the vent duct is less then 24'), then most likely your auto-dry cycle will work OK now. A plugged up vent won't allow the temp to get high enough to cycle the t-stat and let the timer advance in auto-cycle.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 txgp17

txgp17

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Finished the cleaning, man was it it bad bad shape. I have an outlet on the roof and it was

I put my meat thermometer into the air outlet, and it did indeed cycle between 165º and 135º. I also cut the flexible vent hose to as short as I could get it.

Threw in a load of wet laundry, started the automatic cycle, and it worked properly. Thanx a milllion guys.

#10 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Nice work. You solved the problems and should see significant better performance from the dryer.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Now just keep up with it on a yearly bases or possibly every other year and it shouldn't get that way again.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

How to measure dryer vent exhaust temperatures

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 11 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

What are the Vent temperatures ?

Check the Vent air temperature at the back of the Dryer using a...

Read Full Entry →

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics