Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire LTF2140ES0 Won't Drain, Pump Out

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

After a bit of reading on this site, (thanks so far!), I was able to take my evil Frigidaire LTF2140ES0 apart and get the pump out. The only issue I found was some quarters in the rubber sump in front of the pump, (so I'm ahead 75 cents for now), but couldn't find a filter to clean or any other obstructions in the draining system. Could these tarnished quarters be the culprit or should I double check somewhere else in the system? Also, I can stick my finger into the pump and spin the impeller all the way around, but there is a point where I have to push harder to get it to turn. It isn't rough or grindy, but more like I'm pushing against a magnet. Is this normal? Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Posted Image
There is a plastic filter between the tub and the pump inside the rubber hose, unless it's been removed. Does the pump run? Does the machine make any noise when it's supposed to be draining?

#3 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

I stuck my fingers up in the rubber boot, into the tub and didn't find any filters in my model. I can hear the pump running and if I put my hand on it, can feel it as well. Also, according the the Mrs. the drain/spin option isn't working either.

Edited by zold, 13 April 2012 - 01:10 AM.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

Also, according the the Mrs. the drain/spin option isn't working either.

Yep, no pumpy, not spinny, as explained in this podcast ==> Why won't a front load washer drain even after the pump filter has been cleaned out?

Drain pump part link ==> Drain Pump

#5 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'll order a new drain pump then. Thanks for the help!

#6 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Well, here is where we're at: I ordered and installed the replacement pump and it didn't fix the issue. I pulled the drain hoses off the unit, from the pump to the wall, and cleaned them out. Didn't find anything exciting inside, just some pondscum. I've stuck my fingers up in the boot between the motor all the way into the wash tub and can't find any kind of obstruction. When my wife pours water into the drum, it comes right out of the bottom pump outlet. I also ran the "onboard diagnostics" where the washer walks through all of the phases of the clothes washing process and everything seems to work and make the appropriate noises. But, when I run a load of clothes, they are still soaking wet when the machine is done.

#7 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Use your trusty volt meter on the pump wires. Set the unit to spin and see if you get voltage on the pump wires.

#8 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

The pump is getting the right amount of juice during the spin cycle, per the volt meter.

#9 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Empty the washer.
Remove the drain pump.
Leave power wires attached.
Set the unit to spin.
Observe the pump impeller.
If it is rotating you have a blockage.
If you have power to the pump and it is not rotating,you have a bad pump.

I re-read your other post.
Is the machine spinning?

#10 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I pulled up a chair and set the washer for rinse/spin. The rinse part seemed to go just fine, then the pump kicked in and I could hear water gurgling out of the hose that comes out of the back of the unit. Finally, it starts to slowly "fluff" the clothes spinning a few times one way, pausing, then a few times the other way. But, it never really seems to get up to speed and really ring the water out. It seems to be stopping too early.

#11 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Sounds like a faulty door lock. Set the washer to spin again. Start the cycle. Wait 1 minute. Unplug the washer and try to open the door. It should NOT open right away.

#12 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I ran the drain/spin cycle and waited until the unit started spinning, then unplugged it. I was able to open the door. Is there a way to bypass the door lock and try the cycle that way to verify that part is indeed the problem?

#13 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Not that I know of. Replace the door latch. You can verify voltage to the latch.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Part link to the door latch assembly with a 365-day return policy ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=LTF2140ES0

#15 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

From tracing the wires, best I can figure, the door latch is tied to the controller board in the bottom, back corner of the washer. Rather than just order and swap parts and then send them back if things don't work out, with the associated time and expense, is there a way to see which end of the connection is having the problem? Could the problem be the controller board in the bottom, back corner of the unit?

#16 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Put the washer in the spin cycle and test for 120 volts at the door latch connection. if you get 120 volts then the latch is bad.

#17 zold

zold

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

According to my best guess at the wiring diagram, there are four different things that are hooked into the door latch assembly. I turned the control knob to the rinse/spin setting, pressed the Start button, matched up the wire colors and tested the appropriate pairs with the following results:

Door Switch - Black to Red/Blk - 121.4v
Door Lock - Grey to Red/Blk - 124.2v
Door Lock Aux Switch - Orange to Red/Blk - 121.6v
Wax Motor (???) - Pink to Red/Blk - 121.5v

I assume that this confirms the faulty door latch assembly prognosis?

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

any Error Codes (flashing lights) while in the Spin Cycle ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Before, according to your second post, the pump was apparently running but not draining...

I stuck my fingers up in the rubber boot, into the tub and didn't find any filters in my model. I can hear the pump running and if I put my hand on it, can feel it as well. Also, according the the Mrs. the drain/spin option isn't working either.

So, you needed the pump.

Now, with the new pump in, a follow-on problem is revealed. It's not common; yes it sucks, but it does happen.

At this point, now that we have the drain out working properly, and the no-high-speed-spin problem revealed, the problem will either be the door lock or the motor control board. You have been given good diagnostic info for the door latch.

#20 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

I agree with the door latch. Sometimes the wax motor will still work enough to latch it without moving it enough to trip the indicator that it latches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics