Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

(ancient) Maytag DE407 clothes dryer, changed drive belt, no joy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Maddie Pana

Maddie Pana

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

I have a truly ancient Maytag DE407 clothes dryer (think avocado green!). A few months ago, the drum quit turning so I flipped the drive belt to get the drum turning again as it was the holidays and I was too busy to chase down a new belt.

Naturally, I got distracted with more immediate things and never got around to ordering the part (so old that local parts houses do not carry it!)

Last week, the drum quit turning again, so I placed an order for a new drive belt (Whirlpool y311012) which I picked up yesterday and installed today. I've checked and rechecked the belt lie and it is too loose to turn the drum despite appearing to be installed correctly. I checked the part number on the belt that I removed (on the off chance that some previous repair necessitated the use of a different belt, but the part number is the same as the belt that I just installed.

I did not replace the motor belt (Whirlpool y311013) because it is in good condition and it has a nice, snug fit. The spring also appears to be nice and tight.

Is there any way to adjust the tension (or any other obvious mistake that a not terribly mechanically-inclined woman might make)? I don't expect it to run forever, I'm just looking for a way to make it work for a month or so while I take my time shopping for a new washer/dryer set so that I can get a decent price on what I really want instead of whatever I can find right now. (You know, what I *should* have been doing when I flipped the belt lol)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

http://appliantology...an-actual-load/
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Wow---that is an old model :)

Disregard the previous post.

This dryer uses dual "V-Belts".

Possible seizing bearing in either the BLOWER ASSY or DRUM BEARING.

Also possible failing MOTOR (under load).

It's been at least 20 years since I've seen one of these old Maytags.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I have a truly ancient Maytag DE407 clothes dryer

for reference
Posted Image

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#5 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Pull inside belt off of motor to make it loose. Open door and try to turn drum by hand. If it turns blower is seized on drum shaft. If it still does not turn then drum shaft is seized in its bearings (most likely). Either way this is a big project.....had to put on a pretty old hat for this one. A great dryer in its day. Good luck!

#6 Maddie Pana

Maddie Pana

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

I was fairly confident that I didn't have bearing issues or anything seizing as the old beast hadn't been making any strange noises. I don't know what I did differently, but I took everything apart again, went to make dinner, and came back afterwards to put it back together and everything was fine. Something obvious, I'm sure, but just the same ... hooray for clean *and* dry laundry! (Can't hang things out due to smoke from the wildfires here in FL just now)

I'll actually be sad to see the old beast go ... I think I'd be scared to work on anything with an actual computer in the control panel lol (I miss carburetors, too. I may not be able to rebuild one but at least I understand what they do. I recently had to help a friend jumpstart her Prius and it took a quick scan of the manual ... they hide the positive terminal for the 12 volt under the fuse box cover. That's just mean!)

Now to actually do the research on new washers and dryers so that I know what I want to buy and can watch for a good sale :)

Thanks for the advice, guys!
Maddie the near-Luddite ;)

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

photos from
http://www.automaticwasher.org

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

#8 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Whats wrong with this picture? Where are the energy saving (not money saving) computer boards and sensors?

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Geesh, how many different brands of laundry detergent do we need? Also, what is dishwasher detergent doing with the laundry detergents in the above picture?
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics