Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung WF328aaw-02 - Keep Losing Main PCB - OE Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Perk

Perk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abyss, Super Snow Cap and My own Stumbling Monk

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I had an OE error some time ago on my Samsung WF328aaw-02 front load washing machine. It took a while to get the correct main PCB for this model (02) but I finally got it. After 2 loads, it went down again for the OE error. This time I did not screw around. I replaced every electrical part in the machine except for the motor and the wiring harness. i.e. New level sensor, new silver care pcb, new emi filter and new main pcb. It ran fine for about 3 weeks and then the OE error came back.

It is not the pump, I can dump water in the drum and it pumps it out right away.
It is not suds, I blow through the tube, disconnect the tube etc. and no change.

Once I get the OE error, I know for sure that something has happened to the main PCB because it does not go away until I put a new one in it. As soon as I install a new main PCB the error is gone (at least for a few loads).

The only common denominator that I have is that every time the OE error starts (and I lose the main PCB) it is after a pretty heavy duty load is washed. Usually a quilt or a bath mat or something has been washed. And everytime I am surprised at how heavy the load is when I pull it out (its soaking wet of course).

Do you think there is any chance that when a heavy load is washed that there is excessive current being drawn by the motor (2 years old) and this is somehow either over heating the main PCB or causing some sort of current drain issue that is taking out the level sensor circuit on this machine? I did ohm the motor and it ohms out fine (all 3 legs) But, the first controller Sears sent was the wrong one (for rev .01) and when I ran a load it errored out and when I checked the motor it was smoking hot so I know it had to do some damage to the coils or at least shorten the lifetime.

My next plan of attack is to replace the main pcb and the motor at the same time. This washing machine is costing a fortune to troubleshoot! Not to mention I already had to buy a second washing machine (cheaper top load model) which I keep having to move in and out of the garage to use temporarily when the Samsung fails.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

An "OE" error indicates that the MAIN BOARD received data-feedback from the WATER LEVEL SENSOR---that an *overflow condition* occurred (too much water in tub).

When this error is detected---the DRAIN MOTOR will automatically begin pumping/draining the water from the washer until the water level is below the *overflow" level.

Usually the fault will be caused by one of two components:

1) Faulty WATER LEVEL SENSOR.
2) Failing/faulty WATER INLET VALVE---keeps filling water intermittently when valve should be "off".
There are two sets of WATER VALVES---one for Hot Water and one for Cold Water.

Edited by john63, 14 April 2012 - 03:36 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

<<<I checked the motor it was smoking hot>>>

1) Smoke coming from STATOR (motor): Not Normal

2) STATOR & ROTOR (entire motor assy) *very* hot after a heavy load/cycle: Normal
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

<<<Once I get the OE error, I know for sure that something has happened to the main PCB because it does not go away>>>

To clear a stored error message from the MAIN BOARD---unplug the washer for 1 minute.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#5 Perk

Perk

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abyss, Super Snow Cap and My own Stumbling Monk

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

Unplugging the unit for 1 minute does not clear the error. I have left it unplugged for days and it does not clear. The reason the motor was smoking hot was because the first main pcb Sears sold me was for a different revision of the unit that I had. Samsung changed the motor to a different one mid way through the production of this model. So the main pcb that they sent was not compatible with the motor in my unit.

I understand what the OE error is. In my case, it is not actually over full. The unit is completely empty. And the water valves are functioning normally. Thanks for your help, what I am trying to determine is what is causing my main pcb to keep failing (always in the same manor).

#6 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I would call the Samsung Parts Dept---for the *correct* MAIN BOARD part number.

There are FOUR different versions of the Samsung WF328 model washer.

Your model (if in the United States) is:

WF328AAW/XAA / 02

You'll need to provide the SERIAL NUMBER as well.

Incorrect part orders are *very* common---even for appliance techs.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

How to clear an error code in a Samsung washer display

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 14 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

View Postjohn63, on 14 April 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

To clear a stored error message from the MAIN BOARD---unplug the washer for 1 minute.

Of course, if you haven't corrected the problem, it'll just come right back, but this is good information to know while...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics