Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid KUDS02FRSS1 dishwasher drain cycle problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skingsc

skingsc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:IPA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

My Kitchenaid KUDS02FRSS1 dishwasher is about 7-ish years old. The dishwasher will intermitently trip the thermal fuse during the drain cycle and leave the tub partially filled with water. The first time this ocurred I tested the drain pump - it checked out fine and there were no signs of thermal overload on visible components or the harness. I figured something was jamming the drain pump and/or grinder so I proceeded to clean out the grinder assembly (I found a couple interesting odds and ends), replace the check valve, clear the drain line (no real debris), and replace the thermal fuse. For good measure I checked the garbage disposal line as well and it looked good. Everything worked fine for a week, then the same problem ocurred. Since the main pump bearing was starting to get noisy, I decided to change out the pump assy (Samurai Appliance Repair Man: great video, it really sped things up) and the drain pump at the same time. The dishwasher worked great for about a week, then the same problem again - it appears the thermal fuse tripped just before the end of the rinse cycle (there was about 1/4 inch of water left in the tub; dishes were clean). I'm completely at a loss on where to go next with this. Over the life of the dishwasher I've replaced the door link pulleys & springs, reworked the door latching mechanism, replaced the control panel, and now the recent pump assy swap out. Needless to say, this dishwasher is a money pit and I'm hesitant to put more money into replacing the controller board. I'm about ready to cut my losses and get a new dishwasher (most likely NOT Kitchenaid), but first wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple. Any ideas? Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

... intermitently trip the thermal fuse
... make sure I'm not overlooking something simple. Any ideas? Thanks!

it's a Thermal Fuse, blows on thermal overload (heat)
Usually if it's overheating because of the Heater Element ON...
possibly a bad Thermostat, etc ..
When the Thermal Fuse was replaced, did you use the extension wires in the "kit" ?
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1549751

Thermal-Fuse-W10258275--01334010.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 skingsc

skingsc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Because the wires leading to the thermal fuse appeared to be in good condition, I did not use the wires in the extension kit. Should I have used them?

To troubleshoot the heater element issue, would it typically be the hi-limit tub thermostat or the optical soil sensor/thermostat that is causing the problem?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

The Hi-Limit Thermostat limits the Heater.

The Thermal Fuse normally mounts to the Circuit Board.
The Extension wires are needed unless they have already been installed in the past.
It keeps the Thermal Fuse away from the added heat of the Circuit Board.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 skingsc

skingsc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thanks! I will be visiting repairclinic.com shortly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics