Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Washer WFW9150WW01 Ticking & Grinding Sound

ticking grinding whirlpool wfw9150ww01 wierd sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyV

JohnnyV

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hello everyone,

My wife and i bought a Whirlpool duet set 13 months ago and it just ran out of warranty literally a month ago and is now starting to make some wierd noises.

When the washer drum is spinning you can hear what sounds like a grinding sound. It still spins faiiirly easily, but you can hear the grinding/rubbing metal on metal sound. And when the washer gets into a really fast spin you can hear a loud ticking sound that starts to happen. Anyone have any idea what these could be? the washer still seems to work fine and drain fine from what i can tell, but i dont want these 2 problems to get worse and cause more damage. I tried checking the drain filter to see what might be in there and it was fairly clean, just some lint and one of my wife's bobby pins for her hair.

I took the liberty of taking 2 video's so you could hear and see what i mean.

Grinding/Rubbing sound:

http://s309.photobuc...20421-00009.mp4

Very loud ticking sound during fast spinning:

http://s309.photobuc...asherNoise2.mp4

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 JohnnyV

JohnnyV

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

I should also note that when i had the bottom of the washer open to look inside, and i manually spun the drum, it still sounded like the grinding sound was coming from the drum itself and not the motor.

#3 Raynormensk

Raynormensk

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

If you try rocking the inner basket up and down at the front, does it move inside of the tub? If it does, it's the bearings going bad. You either have something between the basket and tub, or the bearings in the tub are going bad.

#4 Raynormensk

Raynormensk

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Had one sounded just like this that a small sock caught on the heater bracket and bent it up so it scrapped against the basket.

#5 JohnnyV

JohnnyV

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

I just tried rocking the inner tub as you asked and it indeed moves. Would running a cycle of affresh do anything? i havent done that in a few months. It sounds like this is gonna be an expensive repair. How much on average does it cost to have something like this fixed?

#6 Raynormensk

Raynormensk

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Gotta be bearings failing then so no affresh. That means rear bearing shell and about 3 hours labor. Part is $343.55. The shop i work for charges around $600 for the complete repair parts and labor.

#7 JohnnyV

JohnnyV

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

well thanks for the info. i guess its time tosave up money and fix it.

#8 Raynormensk

Raynormensk

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

There are various videos on youtube of this kind of repair, i would suggest watching a few of these to get a good feel for this repair and then decide if it is something you want to tackle yourself and save some money. Either way, good luck.

#9 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Im a autorized servicer for whirlpool i looked at a ladys duet and the bearing was going out hers was over 2 years old
told her to call whirlpool and they covered the parts you will be responsiable for labor and travel whirlpool sent parts directly to the customer just did this repair last week be firm with whirlpool they should take care of this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ticking, grinding, whirlpool, wfw9150ww01, wierd sound

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics