Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite icemaker will not work

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 01:17 PM

I have a kenmore elite refrigerator #10652693100, recently the ice maker will do nothing. The optical sensor is not flashing (no light whatsoever) and the ice that is in the icemaker is just sitting there.

Does not seem to be anything happening. We checked the water in the door and that is working fine, so I assume the water line is okay. The ice crusher and dispensor do work.

We previously had the optical sensor blink when an icecube was stuck or something, but not this time. Acts like it has no power.

Is it just better to get a new unit? This one is 4 years old. I would rather not call the repair man since I can buy a new one for the price of a service call.

Thanks, Brad

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:19 PM

[user=517]Sparkland[/user] wrote:

The LED is not flashing (no light whatsoever)

Are you referring to the LED on the dispenser control panel?  I don't think your fridge has the optical ice control system.

We preciously had the LED blink ...

I love those precious little LEDs, too!  :goofus:

You can remove the cover off the icemkaer module head and jumper out test points T to H to initiate the ice harvest cycle

#3 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

I am having trouble getting the icemaker out of the refrigerator. Am I supposed to just be able to push up the little clips and it will release. I can get the left one loose but not the right one as I face the icemaker in the refrigerator.

Brad

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

You don't have to remove the icemaker to test it! Just pull off that white plastic cover on the front of it.

#5 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

Sorry for the confusion, but my icemaker sits from right to left with the motor on the left side. I do not see how I can access this part without removing the icemaker. Am I that dense?

#6 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:02 AM

[user=517]Sparkland[/user] wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, but my icemaker sits from right to left with the motor on the left side. I do not see how I can access this part without removing the icemaker. Am I that dense?

Well in that case you do have to pull out the icemaker, it is a pain in the:moondance:butt it is possible with a little twisting and turning, same test points as Samurai mentioned, have a cup ready to catch the water.:stooges:

#7 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

I found the problem. Took the hair dryer out and "styled" the icemaker. Apparently it was frozen in place. Now it works like a champ. Thank you for your help. Brad

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:43 AM

Uh huh, frozen water fill tube.  :bart:

#9 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:21 AM

No ice again,

Guess I was just lucky to get the temporary fix. The icemaker will not operate at all.

The Kenmore Elite 10652693100 has the Whirlpool icemaker, but the problem is: I went to the Sears parts store and they said I could not order the whole unit, because there was no part number for the entire unit. Can this be true?

Any help would be appreciated. I looked on a couple of parts outlets on the "net" and could not find the whole unit either.

Brad

#10 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:56 AM

Well, a replacement I/M is available at:

http://www.repaircli...?RccPartID=1857

Go there via the box at the bottom of the page. HOWEVER.......

I don't think thats your problem. These are notorious for freezing the fill tube, so much so that Whirlpool brought out a revised tube with a small heater incorporated. What's your serial number (should be S, another letter then 7 digits)?

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#11 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:08 PM

Here is my serial number SL (might be a 1) 3739254

Thanks for the help. Brad

Could I order this heated tube part separately?

#12 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:16 PM

Another side note. My wife loves to "pack" the freezer section of this side-by-side so that the air flow is, to say the least, restricted. Could that be a contributing factor to my problem?

Finally a good reason for my wife to leave a little room in the freezer so the kids and I can have some room for ice cream. No other reason ever seemed to work. If she wants ice then she will have to cut down on the "stuffing"

Crazy thing is we have two side-by-sides (one in the garage) and one freezer downstairs, so it is not like she has no storage space.

Brad

#13 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

Yours is the right age to have this problem. The heated tube is Whirlpool part number 4389174, follow the instructions EXACTLY!
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:15 PM

Here's the filltube heater kit you need:

Posted Image

#15 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for all your help. I am waiting for my wife to unload the freezer and defrost the line before I tackle the job of putting in the heater element, but I will.

I will let you know how it goes. Great help on this forum.

Brad

#16 Sparkland

Sparkland

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

Just to keep you updated, I am still waiting to get the freezer thawed out. The groceries have nowhere to go.
My wife just keeps stocking up.

Thanks, Brad

#17 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

She will have no ice until she stops going to the store.  ;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics