Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore HE2 electric dryer throwing breaker occasionally (110.87562601)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tripp Knightly

Tripp Knightly

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lagunitas IPA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Have an electric dryer (110.87562601) that seems to be throwing circuit breakers only after running hotter or longer periods. 220v plug is the 3 prong (not 4) kind. I'd ordinarily start to wonder if the wiring run has used too thin a gauge or some other fault in the wiring. Has been hard to nail down if there are any other things to the pattern and it's not happening often enough which makes it even harder to observe.

But today while running a very wet blanket (not dripping wet) through a heavy automatic ("jeans", temperature is "medium hot) cycle it started at a normal 70-some-odd minutes and then I went down to check on the driver and even though the blanket was nearly dry it said time remaining was "99" (minutes). So, I'm wondering if there's actually some kind of thermostat problem (perhaps intermittent) that is causing the heating mechanism to go way beyond where it should, drawing too much on the wires and only then heating household wires enough to throw the breaker.

Ideas?

Many thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

... wonder if the wiring run has used too thin a gauge or some other fault in the wiring.
... some kind of thermostat problem (perhaps intermittent) that is causing the heating mechanism to go way beyond where it should,
... Ideas?

1) thin wire wouldn't cause it
2) Thermostat wouldn't cause it
3) the House Circuit Breaker could be weak
OR the Dryer Drum Motor could be drawing too much current when hot.
Remove the Belt and try turning the Motor Shaft by hand.
Does it turn easily, smoothly ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Tripp Knightly

Tripp Knightly

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lagunitas IPA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thx that helps. I'll try to report back on the drum. I have a home warranty that covers electrical wiring (only de minimus) and of course appliances, so your input helps. Trying to figure out if there's something simple that's cheaper than the $60 cap I pay under the warranty for the service call. Think I can pull a panel(s) and test the motor w/o belt attached.

#4 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

. I had this a few years ago. Dryer would often throw the breaker. An electrician had been out and said the breaker was fine, so I spent hours monkeying around with the dryer. Finally I'd start the cycle and run down and hear a crackling noise from the breaker panel. Then I got the client to start it while I was at the panel.

. Turns out it was the breaker. There wasn't one of the same amperage in the panel to test it out on, so the only alternative was a trip to the hardware store for a new breaker.

. Anyway, try listening at the breaker panel. If there is another breaker of the same amperage you can swap out, and know how to be safe doing so, try that.

. Intermittent problems are a pain to diagnose. I doubt the heater is overheating. First there are safety thermostats that would blow. Second, it still draws the same amount of current no matter what.

. I'm assuming the 99 is a coincidence or anomaly, here, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Tim M, 23 April 2012 - 08:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics