Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Top Load Direct Drive Washer agitates but clunks and fails in spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 levined1

levined1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Our Whirlpool top load direct drive washer, model number LSW9245EQ1, agitates fine but clunks, screeches, and fails in the spin cycle. The silver basket-like piece visible directly above the transmission rotates slowly when this is happening. The clothes basket turns slowly as well. The problem does not appear to be the coupler. It looks fine. Nor does it seem to be the clutch. Replacing that assembly produced no noticeable change. Is it likely to be the transmission? The transmission binds when I manually rotate the flange in a clockwise direction. It turns freely when turning the flange counter-clockwise. Turning the flange does not cause the rod leading into the tub to turn. Many thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Is the screech ongoing? Or is it short and then everything stops dead?

These articles may be of help:

Diagnosing transmission problems in a Whirlpool / Kenmore top-loading, direct-drive washer

http://fixitnow.com/...t-drive-washer/

Diagnosing and Repairing Spin and Agitate Problems in a Whirlpool / Kenmore Direct Drive Washer

http://fixitnow.com/...t-drive-washer/

Edited by Tim M, 22 April 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

... agitates fine but clunks, screeches, and fails in the spin cycle.

post YouTube video ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 levined1

levined1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

The screeches and clunks are ongoing. They resemble those caused by unbalanced loads, except louder and more dire.

#5 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

levined1,
. When you tried to turn the transmission by hand, was that when it was out of the machine? That is were the brake and clutch removed or were they on it?

. Is posting a video to YouTube a possibility, or is the machine disassembled now.

RegUS and Samurai,
. Should he be able to turn the transmission by hand in both directions fairly easily?

#6 levined1

levined1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

The transmission is currently out of the machine with the clutch removed. I will reassemble the machine later today and post of video of the clunking (God willing).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics