Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Steam Dryer mystery leak - DLEX7177RM

lg dryer steam leak dlex7177

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 themax3000

themax3000

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home-brewed Kombucha

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

DLEX7177RM Steam dryer has mystery leak that the customer notices after most cycles, coming from near the front center of the machine. I ran this unit for quite some time and could find no leak. Customer indicated that a previous servicer replaced something (maybe steam generator?) and indicated that this part breaks all the time and they should get used to replacing it.

I could not locate the source of the leak. I went into dx mode and activated the steam generator, and only ended up with a drum full of water, but could find no leak. DX

Any ideas?

themax3000

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

<<<DLEX7177RM Steam dryer has mystery leak that the customer notices after most cycles, coming from near the front center of the machine. I ran this unit for quite some time and could find no leak.>>>

In most cases---this is caused by a partially restricted vent system.

When the back pressure increases due to a restricted/partially blocked vent system---moisture/steam "escapes" from the drum during the cycle (fairly common).

Check all hoses for tight connections as well (it's rare to find a leaky hose).

<<<I could not locate the source of the leak. I went into dx mode and activated the steam generator, and only ended up with a drum full of water>>>

To initiate the DIAGNOSTICS TEST MODE...

Press/hold the MORE TIME and LESS TIME buttons

Then press the POWER button and release all three buttons.

To test the STEAM GENERATOR funtion...

Press the START/PAUSE button 4 times.

NOTE: During the STEAM GENERATOR test mode---the SG pump *will flood* the dryer if allowed to run too long.

<<<Customer indicated that a previous servicer replaced something (maybe steam generator?) and indicated that this part breaks all the time and they should get used to replacing it.>>>

False.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

The STEAM GENERATOR in an LG dryer serves 2 functions...

1) Static Reduction---Most of the dry cycles will add a small spray of steam into the drum during *the last* 15 minutes of a cycle.

2)The EASY IRON cycle adds a *heavy* amount of steam to the laundry load to leave clothes very damp in preparation for *ironing*.

If STEAM DRY is selected (any cycle)---the STEAM GENERATOR will be turned off during the last 8 minutes of the cycle.

If using the STEAM FRESH option---the SG will NOT energize if the Moisture Sensor Bars detect moisure in the load (clothing).

Edited by john63, 25 April 2012 - 12:49 AM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

John63, I believe you have misread what TheMax3000 is working on: LG Steam Dryer.

You appear to be explaining a leaking steam generator in an LG washer and using the the wrong detergent, (I don't believe the wrong detergent used in the washer will cause a dryer to leak?).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

<<<John63, I believe you have misread what TheMax3000 is working on: LG Steam Dryer.>>>

Holy Mackerel ! How'd I miss that !!! :)

Thanks---I corrected the above post.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#5 themax3000

themax3000

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home-brewed Kombucha

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

", (I don't believe the wrong detergent used in the washer will cause a dryer to leak?)."

It would not surprise me to find a customer putting detergent in a dryer! They do everything else!

Thanks for the guidance.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Hunting down a mystery leak in an LG steam dryer

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 04 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

<<<DLEX7177RM Steam dryer has mystery leak that the customer notices after most cycles, coming from near the front center of the machine. I ran this unit for quite some time and could find no...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics