Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
pattibri

Whirlpool Fridge (GS6SHAXMBO0) compressor running but everything room temp

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a situation with a 7 year old Whirlpool conquest where it is no longer cooling. All components are on (lights, cond fan, evap fan). However, the compressor is constantly humming and not changing temperature. I thought it was the start device so I replaced that - no change. Also, the condenser coils have been cleaned.

Am I looking at a bad compressor? Or is there something else I should be looking at? I find it interesting that I hear no clicking, just a constant hum from the compressor.

Finally, we also had a surge protector in the house go bad and a computer hard drive go bad around the same time, not sure if this is coincidence or a electrical surge root cause.

thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Has this Fridge been working OK for you up till now at this location ?

Would need to a picture of the frost pattern (if any) of the Evaporator Coils inside the Freezer

The fridge stopped working over a week ago (the contents were transferred to another fridge/freezer). It has been unplugged for at least 5-6 days. So I assume that would mean there would be no frost patterns? Or should I let it run again and then look for a pattern?

After replacing the Start Device last night I let the unit run for 15mins and all components were room temp. Even the compressor. It had the loud hum, but no change in temp. So if I do look for the frost pattern, how long should i let it run for prior to taking a picture?

thanks again.

about an hour or two

It ran for a few hours and the evap coil shows no signs of frost.

The coils is clean and room temp.

Compressor had the same consistent hum the whole time. Trying to figure out how to post a pict... but not sure if will show you much other then a clean frost free coil.

thanks

Place your clamp on amp meter over 1 compressor wire to get an amp draw reading.

Should read about 1,2 to 1.6 amps.

Sounds to me like a refrigerant leak.

I'll check amps. But assuming I register appropriate amps, I suspect it will still be a few hundred $$'s to have a technician find, repair and recharge. With a replacment value on teh fridge at $900 sounds like it might be time for a new one.

Feel free to let me know if think my thinking is flawed.

Thanks again.

is that hum the normal compressor sound? is the compressor both warm and vibrating? also you may want to check the run capacitor if all other tests show no problem.

it's definitely not a normal sound it's a steady, almost vibrating hum, you can easily notice it just walking into the room. it is vibrating slightly, but its a steady vibration. it's not getting warm at all...

And the amp draw is.......................???

it was hovering up around 1.6....