Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid Gas Range, Lrg burner-low flame?

gas burner cooktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brooke Falconer

Brooke Falconer

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heif

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hello,
I have a kitchenaid gas range, YKGRT607HB9. I have 2 problems. The first I think I have solved but would like some expertise. Customer complaint is low baking temp. I checked the igniter-it seemed slow to open the gas valve. It never got above 2.7 amps. I checked amperage on the broil and it went to 3.3 amps when the valve opened and broil lit. So I am thinking bad bake igiter-anything I may have missed?
2nd problem-on front left burner (largest) flame never gets about what should be low. Removed burner head and checked for cleanliness-it is fine. I tried to adjust the flame by using a small flathead screwdriver, but I had one too big and one too small-could never get it to turn (as per owners manual-light burner, turn to low, remove knob and using small slot screwdriver turn screw to adjust flame)
So since I am already going back for the igniter, I told them I would bring the proper screwdriver to adjust the flame and see if that works. Now, my concern is could it be the spark harness or burner valve? All I have experienced in the past is problems lighting the burners, never maintaining or increasing flame-any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

Don't mess with the low flame setting adjustments in the stems of the surface burner gas valves until you get the burner firing at full power, (the low flame setting isn't the source of your problem).

You need to use a probe that will slide down the burner orifice hole, gookus builds up from the impurities in the gas and makes the burner orifice smaller, (most likely this largest front burner is the most used so it has started to plug up more then any of the rest).

This is a very common problem to see on all manufactures of these sealed surface burners. I have a long probe with a straight pick on the end that is usually small enough to go down any of the orifices, a paper clip or any other straight long wire that is small enough to go down in the orifice and you can hold onto so you don't drop it down into the gas tube will work.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Also,whenever you adjust surface flames light all the burners on top.
After the adjustment turn them off.
Then turn each one on by itself on High and Low to make sure the low stays lit.

#4 Brooke Falconer

Brooke Falconer

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heif

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thanks Gents! I will give it a go! :samurai:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas, burner, cooktop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics