Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE ZISS420DRCS upper compartment leaking water

evaporator pan water leak GE stainless steel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deal2seek

deal2seek

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Saporo

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

HI,

I have a GE ZISS420 DRCS fridge and it's having an annoying problem: the pan under the compressor pan in the upper compartment is broken, so it cannot hold water and water drips to the front door. I called GE and got the conflicting information about the replacement parts: one told me the part is WR17X11924 (http://www.repaircli...7X11924/1169748); the other said it's this one: http://www.repaircli...er=ZISS420DRCSS. A search on Sears parts showed this one:
http://www.searspart...6&prst=&shdMod= (#711 in the graph, part# WR17X11804).

My questions are:
(1) which one is the correct part? I did compare what I found in the fridge and the picture on Searsdirect's website matches perfectly.
(2) Anywhere I can find the installation manual if I want to DIY? If this website has it, I will pay the cost to get privilege to access it.

I marked two cracks in the attached photo. The pan is the one under the compressor -- the 2nd picture of the 1st post of this thread:

http://appliantology...-42-deg/unread/

Thanks.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

Deal2seek, you have it correct, ref#711 (WR17x11804) is the correct part# for just your cracked plastic pan under the compressor.

The first part you referenced is also correct. Most, (actually looks like all except Sears), places are subing the WR17X11924 Stainless Steel Vaporizer pan kit for the WR17x11804 plastic pan insert for a much higher price.

If you can get just the plastic pan insert it will be much less in price but the new stainless steel pan kit would last much longer and you shouldn't have to worry about it cracking again.

Sears is the only place that still list just the plastic pan and it says it is in stock, but a word of warning, Sears is famous for listing No Longer Available parts as still in stock then informing you a week or more later after you have ordered that they can't get it.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 deal2seek

deal2seek

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

hi, BAR,

Thanks for the reply. That explains why there is a huge price difference.

Is there anywhere I can find the installation manual? The pan seemed blocked by the compressor. Is it needed to remove the compressor first before the pan can be replaced?

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Maybe someone else can direct you to a manual and you would most likely need to upgrade your membership a bit.

From the pictures of the part the compressor most definitely has to be raised up to slip the old pan out and the new one in. The compressor mounting bolts stick up threw the current original plastic pan. For the new stainless steel pan the compressor mounting studs are welding into the stainless steel pan.

I don't know if the part would come with any instructions or not, there is one listed on Ebay for a pretty reasonable price considering what all the parts houses are asking for the stainless steel pan kit. Maybe you could contact them and see if the package has any instructions. There is also a very large detailed picture of the actual part.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 27 April 2012 - 05:25 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

I don't know of any kind of manual, but I have changed two of the metal pan assemblies in the last year. Basically, we pulled the entire fridge out, which requires the screwing up of the front feet. I would recommend buying some florgaurd scuff shields(google it) to avoid damaging your floors. Then to remove the top righthand cover we had to remove all screws from the top and back. There is also a screw inside on the right side of the compressor, and a screw inside at the front top left of the the cover. The access door to the compressor compartment will need to removed as well due to the right side screws holding on the top cover as well. There are also some screws on the condensor on the left side and I believe two on the right side(i think two at the back as well).. I also removed the panel to the left of the compressor with the inverter on it. You will need a second person to help lift the compressor as well as the condensor, so you can slide the pan assembly under them. The condensor has a little a ridge it sits in inside of the new pan assembly. I would say it took us at least 2 and a half hours. An hour of it, I was on my own because my helper was 50 minutes away. It is isn't real hard, but it takes time if you have never done one.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,696 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Great repair report, Bryan!

BTW, the service manual for this unit is in the Downloads section ==> http://appliantology...ice-manual-set/

#7 deal2seek

deal2seek

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

BAR, BryanS, and Samurai,

Thank you very much for your help.

I signed up as an apprentice and will give it a shot after I get the part. I followed the manual URL and the system only allowed to download 2 files. THe 3rd file has a file name starting with "ZIS" and is presumably more useful. Samurai, is there a wait period or 2 documents are the max an apprentice can download?

thx.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

should be just a "waiting period",
but I don't know how long it is.
May be "per day"

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 deal2seek

deal2seek

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I don't know of any kind of manual, but I have changed two of the metal pan assemblies in the last year. Basically, we pulled the entire fridge out, which requires the screwing up of the front feet. I would recommend buying some florgaurd scuff shields(google it) to avoid damaging your floors. Then to remove the top righthand cover we had to remove all screws from the top and back. There is also a screw inside on the right side of the compressor, and a screw inside at the front top left of the the cover. The access door to the compressor compartment will need to removed as well due to the right side screws holding on the top cover as well. There are also some screws on the condensor on the left side and I believe two on the right side(i think two at the back as well).. I also removed the panel to the left of the compressor with the inverter on it. You will need a second person to help lift the compressor as well as the condensor, so you can slide the pan assembly under them. The condensor has a little a ridge it sits in inside of the new pan assembly. I would say it took us at least 2 and a half hours. An hour of it, I was on my own because my helper was 50 minutes away. It is isn't real hard, but it takes time if you have never done one.

hi Bryan and all,

I finally got the replacement part. I unscrewed the drain hose and moved it so water flows towards the front of the fridge and then use a bucket to hold the water. Since it did not do any damage, my family members did not complain as much. Forgive my procrastination.

I also downloaded the manual pointed to me by Samurai. The manual states that the tray can be slided out, but I couldn't because the tray seems fastens to the condenser at the back.

Another question for Bryan is: how do I detach/remove the compressor from the drain pan/tray? It seems fastened to the tray with 4 grommets?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics