Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG WM2701HV Main Control Broard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GeneP

GeneP

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

I have a LG WM2701HV front loading maching that is just less than 1-1/2 years old. Last week while washing a medium load of sheets I found the Laundry Room (8x13 room) full of horrible smelling smoke (A week later I am still trying to get ris of the smell). Anyhow I removed the top to find the main control board literally fried between the 2 relays. It actually burnt a hole through the circuit board, the potting material that secures the board to the back cover, with residue running down the back inside of the washer. Nasty smelling stuff! I called LG & explained what happened hoping to get a new main control board that should be covered (2 year board warranty on the board). They gave me a CNM# and said they would contact me in a few days. After a couple days I called again asking what happened with no real resolution. I have not been able to find a Service Manual or Schematic on line. Anyhow my question is: If I replace this main control board can I expect it to again fry as I suspect the problem to be something else defective causing the main board to fry? The burn components appear to be some sort of "Switching Relay" maybe what makes the drum rotate back & forth in different directions. I see no other burnt wires or components visually but gut feeling might be a stator??? I could check resistance across the stator if I know what it should be. a couple photos I will try to attach might help.

Any and all comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Gene

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

An unusual MAIN BOARD failure.

It appears that the power-input relay failed (dramatically).

No other components on the washer caused this to occur.

http://www.repaircli...Number=WM2701HV

Edited by john63, 25 April 2012 - 10:18 AM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 GeneP

GeneP

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for your quick reply John63. So my understanding is that this type a failure IS "Unusual" and you wouldn't expect another bad component elsewhere. My last contact with LG (Not a good conversation) was that they wanted me to pay for their service & labor to replace the board while I would expect their labor charges several times more than your quoted board cost (Or their cost). Before I pay them I plan to purchase the board myself and do the install. Hoping I don't fry the new board. I was hoping to find a service manual so I could confirm the components & poke around with a meter. I also see the board is out of stock till next week at least.

Many Thanks Again!

Gene

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

For service manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice ==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

<<<So my understanding is that this type a failure IS "Unusual" and you wouldn't expect another bad component elsewhere>>>

Correct.

There are no Service Bulletins to indicate a problem with the MAIN BOARD on this washer (and I've never seen this type of failure as well)

<<<I would expect their labor charges several times more than your quoted board cost>>>

The LABOR rate for this repair is at the discretion of each authorized LG service center.
Likely to be in the range of $85 to $195.

<<<Hoping I don't fry the new board>>>

I am confident that this is not a concern at all.

<<<I also see the board is out of stock till next week at least.>>>

RepairClinic is out of stock on this part.

It is in-stock at LG Parts Dept.

In your case---having dealt with someone at LG (and not a pleasant one)---it can be frustrating having to order the MAIN BOARD from them given that it is a "covered" part (limited part warranty).
In order to qualify for this part replacement---an authorized LG servicer must verfiy that the MAIN BOARD has indeed failed.
This is the normal procedure for most manufacturers.
The downside (in your case) is that the servicer must be paid labor charges to obtain & install the part(s).
This is done---by the way---to ensure that the *correct* failed part is replaced AND to eliminate guess-work or outright fraud (ordering parts---even though it is not needed).
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics