Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Oasis HE (OL) error code

Kenmore Oasis OL error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 anubis48473

anubis48473

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hello everyone!

We have a Kenmore Elite Oasis HE washer, model number 110.27087604, that has been giving us nothing but problems recently. We started getting an F1 error around the first of the year. After many conversations with Sears Service Center, we diagnosed the issue to be a bad control board. We purchased one online, and installed it. The machine worked fine for about four loads, then we started getting an F70 error, and the machine keeps telling us it's overloaded. I had this happen earlier this week when washing a small load consisting of nothing but one towel and a dozen washcloths.

I've sat and watched the machine in "action". It will fill the tub full (regardless of load size) and then immediately drain the tub. It will not agitate the load at all. At this point it gives me an OL error. I can go back through and run the "Rinse/Drain & Spin" function fine. It will fill the tub, spin it out and drain it completely without any problems.

I've searched around the internet and one site said if the tub doesn't spin it's something to do with the drive shaft. I can manually spin the tub fine in both directions.

Another site showed me how to run the self diagnostic program. When I do that it makes it through all the systems without an issue. It will even agitate without any problems!

Another site said it could be an issue with the connections to the control board, so I checked all of those. I've unplugged each one, and reattached them making sure they "snap" into place.

Could this be an issue with the new circuit board, or is this a problem with some other component in the washer? I'd hate to think we purchased a circuit board that was bad... but nothing would surprise me with this machine at this point!

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

Scott

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Have you checked for objects between the tubs? That can trigger those types of codes.
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

#3 delawaredrew

delawaredrew

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Rule out a stuck basket, spin by hand and slide up and down on shaft. This basket floats up to agitate and settles back down to spin. When in floating position the basket should not be coupled to anything, when full of water in diagnostics and agitating (C5 I think) the basket will not rotate with agitator except by slight drag from moving water. Common to get items under basket that block it from it's driven position.
Assuming that is is okay:
In order of likelihood and ease (at least to me):

--->Loose rotor bolt down below - Lean machine back to access rotor. It's the white round thing with permanent magnets inside. If rotor is not firmly bolted to shaft, pull it and examine splines in plastic, it's magnets, and look for evidence of contact with stator.
--->A loose main nut on bearing shaft or bad bearings. Above rotor and stator, you can see nut after removing rotor. Doesn't need to be super tight but should not be free either. You can usually hear bearing issues when it spins if they have progressed to this point.
--->RPS sensor issue.

Look at sticker on replacement board, what is part # on it? Color of sticker? Rev #?

Edited by delawaredrew, 30 April 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#4 anubis48473

anubis48473

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Paw Paw -
Thanks for the response. It took a couple of days to get to it, but I have managed to almost get the tub out. For some reason I can not get the basket out. I've downloaded the manual and followed the process, but have not been able to get it loose. Maybe that's my problem? I have the top lifted, the tub cover off, and the agitator is out. I removed the hub and hub cover so only the shaft is exposed, but that basket will not budge! I put some penetrating oil on it, so see if that will help. Will let it set overnight and try tomorrow.

DelawareDrew -
Thanks for your response as well. The basket rotates, but does not slide up and down (as evidenced from my response to Paw Paw). There was a lot of black debris around the shaft. Don't know if that's graphite used as a lubricant or something else. Haven't cleaned it off the shaft, but can with a wire brush.

I did check out the control board we purchased. The label is a yellow-green color. The part number is W10112113A. There isn't an Rev# that I saw. There was a date code of 6340-JH on it if that helps. We kept the original board that was in the machine. I checked the part numbers and they matched.

I have not checked the underside of the machine where the rotor is. I wanted to work through Paw Paw's suggestion first, before moving on to your recommendations.

If this information helps to diagnose the problem please let me know. This little bugger is starting to get frustrating!

Thanks again,
Scott

#5 anubis48473

anubis48473

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Here's another little update. Last night I sprayed some penetrating oil on the shaft where the basket slides onto, and let it sit over night. I read through the post on the main page of this forum about removing the tub and followed the instructions where it suggested using a little water to get the basket to float. Before work I managed to get the basket to lift up about half way, but no further. Am I doing something wrong? I'm lifting the machine up off the ground and that basket just won't pop free. Could this be my problem?

I managed to get the basket to sit about half way up the shaft. I filled the "cup" this created, between the shaft and the basket bushing, with some penetrating oil and am letting it sit while I'm at work. I'm hoping the penatrating oil will find it's way down the bushing and help loosen what seems to be corrosion.

Any suggestions on how to pop this basket free would be wonderful. I've tried rocking the basket back and forth and rotating it, but nothing gets it to move above half way up the shaft.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Posted Image

#7 anubis48473

anubis48473

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Thank you for the response Samurai Appliance Repair Man -

I have removed the hub and the shaft spline from the basket. The only thing showing is the shaft in the top right picture where you have crusty written. There appears to be a metal bushing of sorts on the inside of the basket. I have sprayed pentrating oil on it hoping that will help loosen the crusty area. As soon as I removed the hub and spline I noticed a lot of black debris around the shaft. I used a soft metal bruch to clean off the shaft as far as I could. When I finally get the basket off I intend on cleaning the shaft off. I found a couple of posts where people recommended sanding the shaft down. Should I do this? Also, when I finally figure out what's wrong and repair it, should I put some sort of grease or lubricant between the shaft and basket?

Thanks again for the help!

#8 anubis48473

anubis48473

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Here's a new update from this morning. I tried doing what the Samurai suggested to no avail. I've pulled on this thing with all my might and the only thing I'm doing it lifting the machine off the ground. The basket will not come up more than half way up the shaft. I looked at this thread:
http://appliantology...-replace-guide/
to see if I could find out what I'm doing wrong, and I've followed the steps exactly as they are laid out but still the basket will not come out. I decided to do some checking on YouTube to see if there is any information that might be getting overlooked. I think I found something... the "bushing" I keep referring to, looks a lot like a spanner nut referenced in one video. It has four slots cut into it, and rests between the shaft and the basket. It doesn't appear to be over the basket, but rather in between the basket and the shaft.

Could this be what's stopping me from pulling out the basket? I'm a little confused because the link above and none of the other schematics I've found make reference to a spanner nut. Am I crazy, or does this just seem to be way more difficult than it should be?

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

the "bushing" I keep referring to, looks a lot like a spanner nut referenced in one video. It has four slots cut into it, and rests between the shaft and the basket. It doesn't appear to be over the basket, but rather in between the basket and the shaft.

Post a nice clear photo or two of what you're seeing.

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

You should be seeing this: (video in link)  http://www.repaircli.../280145/1200151

Basket-Drive-Hub-Kit-280145-01032530.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#11 anubis48473

anubis48473

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Final update folks, I got it fixed! I tried all sorts of stuff to get the basket out of the washer. I used WD40, penetrating oil, CLR and finally tried something I found online to remove corrosion... WHITE VINEGAR. Within five minutes of pouring the vinegar on the part it loosened up and popped right off. What I thought was a spanner nut, was in fact a plastic bushing down the center of the basket. It looked like a spanner nut because of the dark color of the plastic and the way it was shaped.

After I got the basket out, I cleaned, scraped and sanded down the shaft. I also scrubbed out the center of the basket once I realized it was plastic. I tested the fit several times and made sure the basket would float freely. I put it everything back together after cleaning the crap out of everything with Simple Green.

We've tested it several times with loads of various sizes. It works just fine. You can't imagine how happy the little lady was when she heard the machine agitate that first night. I told her I'd put it on my annual list of spring projects to clean that shaft once a year, so we don't have this happen again. It might have taken five years to build up to that point, but 30 minutes of work is enough to stop it from happening again.

Thanks to all of you who offered help and suggestions. Paw-Paw your suggestion started this whole thing, so I know I owe you a beer. As soon as I figure out how to do that, I'll make it happen.

Thanks again everyone... Anyone I know who has trouble with any appliance I'll pass them on to Appliantology!

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

White vinegar! Gotta keep that idea in mind next time I'm wrastling with one of these beasts. Domo for the update!

#13 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Glad ye could Git her done. Nice tip on the vinegar. Might pass that along to others.
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Kenmore Elite Oasis HE Washer - OL error code

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 30 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Rule out a stuck basket, spin by hand and slide up and down on shaft. This basket floats up to agitate and settles back down to spin. When in floating position the basket should not be coupled to anything, when full of water in...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics