Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Need to blow off some steam

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Mt. Dew

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Sorry in advance. This is mostly between me and those people I want to say "go to hell" to and can't, because even though they screw me I still have to smile and take it. As everyone knows: negative word of mouth can spread far and fast. Some of you will probably understand.

:Rant on:

People don't expect to be able to bring clearance special food to their local resturaunt, get it cooked by a pro with the resturaunts seasonings, equipment, and such (for cheap of course) all the while expecting to get a discount premium meal. I don't see much difference between that and people expecting a company to install their flea market furnace, internet parts, or Chinese junk they bought who knows where . The plumber side of me gets pissed every time someone comes into my shop, wastes my time picking out faucets from our showroom (because we provide design and details and advice) then take that information and go to lowes or online somewhere. There they hand over all my specs, get lower quality faucets with crap plastic parts and expect me to smile and install them all for the exact same labor price as I quoted before, with me making no money on markup. And of course provide full warranty and deal with explaining to some jackass over the phone that he didn't sell the customer the right handles or the correct required accesories. I am sick of that crap. Businesses mark up material so they stay in business. I love the Internet for many things but I hate the "lowest price no matter what" crap it has brought with it. Service is the only thing this country has left since manufacturing is pretty much gone, and service is going to go too because although we say we want great service, we won't pay for it.

I love my job. I like doing anything mechanical. I love solving problems, making things work, fixing, installing, etc. I take pride in what I do and I think others have every right to do the same, but it is getting harder every year. No pride needed in a disposable society I suppose. The thought of being obsolete is rather sad.

Much respect and further prosperity for those finding ways to survive this crap.

:Rant off:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

I hear ya and feel your pain but I have found there are customers out there who care about quality and service. I find as our prices and reputation increases, our customer base increasingly is made up of those type of customers. We do not haggle prices in our appliance thrift shop nor with our repair service. They either take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong now as we pride ourselves in our ability to sell. We explain in detail our appliances and services and leave it at that. If they walk out due to price, so be it.

My business partner always says "some money is just not meant to be made." We take the approach that because of our service and attention to quality and detail, the customer is lucky to have found us. I take the saying " the customer is always right" literally. In other words, if he aint bought nuthin yet, he aint no customer only a potential customer. We are happy when some of those potential customers walk out or cancel an appointment. There are billions of dollars out there but.some of that money is just not meant to be made.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 27 April 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Mt. Dew

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have found there are customers out there who care about quality and service.

I know this too, it is getting harder to keep it in mind. The stew of the economy, global market, government, etc is just coming together particularly rotten the last several years. I'm just in a foul disposition like most everyone. The differance is that I know it is our faults. The situation we are in is a reflection of our choices. Disposable is fine. Family is not important. Kids having fun aren't learning. Outsourcing is great. Working with your hands is not desirable nor meaningful. Getting a lawyer is for the same reason as getting a lottery ticket. Made in (insert non U. S. company here) is fine by me. Charity is fine for those who don't need it. Thinking can replace working. Government is for solving our problems. More credit for everyone. Etc etc. Our attitudes have changed and with it our jobs are changing. I'm pissed about it, is all. I'm not out in the street or anything, I just run into those "I'm not paying for quality" types more and more.

#5 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

The up-lifting thought for today : Life is like a fart - try too hard and sh_t happens...

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

Sōhei

• Cast Into the Outer Darkness
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Free

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

The up-lifting thought for today : Life is like a fart - try too hard and sh_t happens...

Dude!!!!!!! That is just so wrong on so many levels........... :teehee:

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

I don't think anyone should have to warrenty any work done with materials he didn't sell. The customer is really screwing you, maybe you could adjust your policy that your labor quotes are only good with materials purchased from you. Your justification is the job takes longer, thus more costs, when you have to deal with other parties materials. Plus, you should never warrenty any materials you did not sell.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

labor price should maybe be the same whether or not you sell the parts,
although, mention that you cannot warranty the customer's parts, nor the re-installation if the parts do fail.

We had our House original windows replaced.
We chose Stanek Windows, they sell and install them.
Windows and repairs / adjustments / re-installation are covered under warranty.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics