Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE dishwasher not filling enough

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 newsmanbg

newsmanbg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fullsteam

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hi -- thanks in advance for your help. I have a Ge dishwasher, model gld6360L00SS , six years old, which has not been cleaning the dishes on the top rack properly. After reading extensively here, I concluded that the upper and middle wash arms were not spinning. However, when I start a cycle and let the dishwasher fill until it begins to wash (about 50 seconds) -- and then open the door and pour in an additional half gallon of water -- the upper arms spin and it appears to be working properly.

So I'm trying to determine why I don't have enough water.

I have replaced the supply line from the plumbing stop valve under my sink to the fill valve of the dishwasher. (The previous pex line appeared narrowed where the compression rings went around it.) That may have improved things slightly, but the arms still don't spin rapidly unless I add water. I also disassembled the brass elbow into the fill valve and removed the fill valve from the machine to make sure the screen was not obstructed. A couple little pieces of junk came out, but not enough to obstruct the flow.

My guess is I have one of two problems:
1. Controller is not leaving fill valve open long enough before starting cycle
2. Fill valve is not opening all the way or is somehow internally obstructed so it doesn't properly fill in the time allotted.

I cannot find the tech data sheet between the tub and sheet metal, so I'm not sure get in to mess with the controller.

(Before discovering that adding watter made the arms spin, I also disassembled the motor and found the blades and chopper to be clear and in excellent contition, cleaned the screen basket in the bottom of the tub, and disassembled the check valve between the drain and the drain pump and cleaned it.)

Looking forward to a guru solution.

Bryan

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

The amount of water fill on this model is controlled by a float valve located on the left underside of the machine.
The micro switch may have a bent actuator arm not allowing a full fill.
Remove the toe kick panel and locate the fill valve switch.
Make sure the float stem is not binding.
Set the machine to start a cycle while watching the float stem rise.
Adjust the metal actuator for more fill.

#3 newsmanbg

newsmanbg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

When you open the door, at the front left corner of the wash tub is a float switch which is inside a protective housing, Is this what you have in mind? I don't think this is a factor, as the fill stops before the water rises anywhere near the level of the switch or activates the switch. I belive this device is an emergency shutoff if the tub gets too full. If you mean a different part, could you point me toward it in a diagram? Thanks very much.

Bryan

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

That is the part.
Do as I instructed grasshopper.

The switch is under the float,behind the toekick panel.

#5 newsmanbg

newsmanbg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Sensei:

Here's a picture of the underside of the float switch behind the toe kick.

Posted Image

You can reach in and push the circle part up, actuating the switch. So I started a cycle and watched the switch. The water flow stopped at 50 seconds, and the switch did not move at all during that time. Could you tell me what I might try to adjust?

Thanks,
Bryan

#6 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

Your water level should be at the bottom center of the float dome.
Make sure the dishwasher is level before checking the water level.

#7 newsmanbg

newsmanbg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

The bottom of the washtub is intentionally sloped, like the beach, with the float switch on the high side. The "tide" never comes close to the float tower before the water shuts off at 50 seconds, and the switch does not activate. Manually activating the switch before the dishwasher has filled for 50 seconds does shut off the flow of water. You have to add about three more quarts of water manually before the tub is full enough to activate the float switch.

#8 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Well, you already know your two quarts shy of enough water to operate. So really maybe it needs 3 quarts. Anybody have a wiring diagram?

#9 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

You should disassemble and clean the float switch dome.
If that does nor correct the fill problem,replace the float switch.

http://www.repaircli...er=GLD6360L00SS

#10 newsmanbg

newsmanbg

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

RussTech, I agree it needs more water. I'm trying to figure out why it's not getting enough. This model seems to fill on a timer, and for whatever reason, not enough water is getting through the fill valve during the time it is open. I think I will try replacing the fill valve, because the fill valve is not opening all the way or is clogged or partially blocked, that would account for not enough water making it through before the controller board shuts off the flow.

But I don't see why I would replace the float switch when the float switch is not what's turning off the water. The switch never activates, and water never gets anywhere near it, but yet the fill valve shuts off after 50 seconds every time. Want to tell us why you think that will fix it, jumptrout?

Thanks everyone.

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

can't be sure without a wiring diagram
GE info is hard top get

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#12 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

I say that because the mini manual that is missing from your machine says;;; If the water level is incorrect,check the filter screen in the water valve and the float switch.
The water valve opens and closes with the float switch.

#13 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

The maximum time the control board allows power to the float switch and water valve is 60 seconds.
If you are not filling within the 60 seconds(50) should be sufficient the water valve could be weak or restricted or the float switch is out of adjustment(dirty and sticking) inside.
Look at the float switch and follow the pink wire to the water valve.
That is the L-1 power in to the water valve.
Use your volt meter to time the power flow at the switch and the valve.

#14 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Correction....
Pink into the float switch from the control board.
Yellow out of the switch to the water valve.

#15 Techlyne

Techlyne

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Do you have sufficient pressure going to the water fill valve? I have seen restrictions in water flow at the cut-off valve before that drove me crazy before I found it. Take the water line off the fill valve and stick it in a gallon jug and turn the water on. You should have enough pressure/volume to shoot across the room. If the pressure is good to the fill valve I would replace the fill valve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics