Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Spin Cycle problem

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TMcR

TMcR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

My mother just recently told me about a problem with our washing machine (like... 20 minutes ago). The machiene goes through the process like it should, but when it gets to the spin cycle, the cabinet dosen't spin. I can hear the motor running like it should, but it's not spinning. I think the belt might have broke, but I wanted to be sure before I actually went to fix it.

My washer is a Kenmore: Ultra Fabric Care, Heavy Duty 80's Series. It's a Direct-Drive type.

Any help and advice would be greatly appriciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

[user=519]TMcR[/user] wrote:

My mother just recently told me about a problem with our washing machine (like... 20 minutes ago). The machiene goes through the process like it should, but when it gets to the spin cycle, the cabinet dosen't spin. I can hear the motor running like it should, but it's not spinning. I think the belt might have broke, but I wanted to be sure before I actually went to fix it.

My washer is a Kenmore: Ultra Fabric Care, Heavy Duty 80's Series. It's a Direct-Drive type.

Any help and advice would be greatly appriciated.

You probably have a broken drive coupler, you say it's a direct drive, that means there isn't a belt. The drive coupler replaces the belt. Samurai has alot of useful information on this site on how to replace this part. You can get the part here.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

Good instructions on replacing the coupler here.

#4 TMcR

TMcR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:29 AM

Well, I mean the washer agitates, but it won't spin. But she just recently told me today that the washer still runs even when the lid is open. Could that effect it in anyway?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:31 PM

Did you even check the drive coupler? :bathead:

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

If it agitates but does not spin, does not sound like the coupler.  Does it drain?  Have you checked to see if it is actually agitating?  The washer will probably agitate with the lid open but will not drain or spin unless it is shut.  If it does not agitate nor spin but it does drain, then do the coupler thing...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

That would be true, Pegi. :knifehead:

Good diagnostic question, too.:dazzler:

#8 TMcR

TMcR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:45 AM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Does it drain? Have you checked to see if it is actually agitating? The washer will probably agitate with the lid open but will not drain or spin unless it is shut.

Yeah, it fills, drains, agitates.... everything but spin. When it goes to spin the motor runs and you can hear it, but it's not spinning.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the coupler's fine.

#9 Fixum

Fixum

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:26 AM

tranny problem  or spin tube or drive block problem IF THE DIRECT DRIVE COUPLING ISN'T BROKEN:gimmebeer:
Fix On

#10 Fixum

Fixum

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

trany  drive block   spin tube:banana:
Fix On

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:31 PM

Sounds like a bad transmission.  This will have a 5 year warranty on the part, so see when the washer was purchased.  Also see if the spin basket is loose.  If you can rock the spin basket around by pushing on the sides of the basket, only, you might have a wollowed out drive block, but that would usually make some pretty bad noise.   The ears of the spin tube could also be gone, and not turning the drive block..  You would have to pull the spin basket to see if this was the problem tho.  Again, you would have been hearing some pretty bad noises before this happened.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#12 TMcR

TMcR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

Nope, no noise. When I got the cover back on, the thing spun, but when I moved it back to it's original spot it didn't spin again. Does that narrow it down?

#13 Fixum

Fixum

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

lid switch issue
Fix On

#14 PK

PK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:42 PM

Yes, a bad lid switch would cause it not to spin but it would not drain either,  and it was stated by the user, it does drain.   Since you have the case back on and moved the washer back into position please verify that it does still drain after you fill it with water.  If the lid switch is going bad, this could cause an erratic no drain/spin problem till you jarr the washer or lean on the lid.    Pegi
"Serving North Central Texas & Southern Oklahoma Since 1978"

#15 TMcR

TMcR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:43 AM

The washer still fills and drains. I know there's a problem with the lid switch, which it's stuck down, keeping the washer running when the lid is up. That dosen't really metter right now. When the washer goes into spin, it's like pushing the gas pedal while in neutral.

#16 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

If the lid switch is broken the washer will not drain or spin, would be dead. Now if the washer does fill, then does agitate,  then does drain and the motor runs but it does not spin you have 1.a bypassed lid switch, and 2 .a broken transmission.  If it fills and does not agitate with the motor running, then does drain and then does not spin and the motor is running you have 1. a by-passed lid switch and a broken coupler or a broken transmission.

#17 TMcR

TMcR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:12 AM

Ok, how would I go about fixing the transmission?

#18 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

If it is less than 5 years old call Sears to replace it under warranty.  If it is over 5 years old you would probably replace the machine or order the transmission and replace it.  But you do want to be sure it is the transmission of course.

#19 TMcR

TMcR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

Well, it dosen't look like it's anything else. And it's older then 5 years, sadly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics