Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

SubZero 10+ yrs old 3211-RFD making sounds

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Pete's wicked

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Greetings wise Mastahs-
I have a problem, and was hoping to find a solution. Our Subzero's freezer compartment has warmed up. The power is on, fridge side is fine, but the temp in the freezer is now 45 + F. All is thawed (yuck!). This little bugger began making a intermitent buzzing sound about 2 days ago( like every 2 min). Like a little motor up above (I believe its the compressor) was trying really hard to kick in, but then it stops. We took off the grill, cleaned the whole area as best as possible, and it seemed to recover- for a few hours. Temp dropped to 20F- then overnight, climbed back up and is buzzing again.
Also, the seal, which we replaced last year on it has come apart- probably adding to the stress onthe machine.
I am learning repairing a SZ is cheaper than buying a new one, but still costly.
My questions are:
1-am I right in assuming this is the source of trouble?
2-am I qualified to handle this type of repair- freon and all?
3-where the heck can I get a new compressor, if need be?
4-will this be a situation where I gotta suck it up and get a guy out here?

We gotta move fast, and the only local place who works on my fridge was the same ripoff guy who tried to charge me $500.00 to fix my washer which we fixed for $50.00.
We r in Hartford County in CT- so if you know a guy...just sayin.

thank you!
I embrace that which I cannot change...
Housework RULES!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

okay, one more thing- just checked the temp- it is 70F in the freezer. warmer than in my house- which means it is working overtime and sucking a LOT of juice! Any way to turn this side off, so as not to break the bank with utilities? thank you!
Housework RULES!

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Make sure the condenser fan up top-- the one that blows air into the black coil-grill-- is running at full blast. If it's stopped or running slowly, it'll make the compressor overheat and make the box warm up. Also clean the condenser coil (the black coil-grill thing up top) as best you can with a vacuum cleaner.

#4 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

ok- will do and let you know.
Housework RULES!

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

began making a intermitent buzzing sound about 2 days ago( like every 2 min).

1-am I right in assuming this is the source of trouble?
2-am I qualified to handle this type of repair- freon and all?
3-where the heck can I get a new compressor, if need be?
4-will this be a situation where I gotta suck it up and get a guy out here?

sounds like the Start Relay for the Compressor has gone bad
Easily replaceable... just plug-in
replacement part number depends on which Compressor they used

1) yes
2) repair, yes, Freon NO
3) NO
4) NO

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

okay- so I turned the knob up to stop the compressor from working- and cleaned the freezer out. Now- today we will vaccum the heck outta it, and here is the info about the compressor:

https://www.certifie...System View.pdf

but the compressor model # is different from the one listed above. I am pretty sure this is the fridge we have- 3211-RFD. maybe I am reading it wrong. the Model # on the compressor is: D12LRAA (I don't see that in the link.) any ideas? thanks!
aj
Housework RULES!

#7 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

okay- found the part $30 7-10 days. yeehah! will post when it arrives- any instruction on how to install the thinger? thanks for your help!
aj
Housework RULES!

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Easily replaceable... just plug-in

#9 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

selective memory here. ;)
thanks!
Housework RULES!

#10 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Okay, got the thinger from a local subzero parts guy. looked almost like the starter relay for freezer currently installed. Plug and play- did it, and now the freezer is still doing the same thing as before. Fan runs in machine, and it sounds like it wants to turn on, but can't.
I will post the photos of what I have asap. because the switches look different.

here is the fridge info: MOdel # 3211LRFD Serial M491726
the part we ordered was Relay,SVCE (9660-042-161)

The freezer compressor model # installed is D120LRAA. This is different from the part sheet #(AE 13600) found here: https://www.certifie...System View.pdf

Whatcha think?

thanks for your help!
Housework RULES!

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Did you measure the compressor windings to check for shorts or open windings??? Measure all three pins to each other........You should get two low readings and the third number will be the total ( or close ) of the lower two readings/pins...Then measure pins to a good ground, any continuity ????... .........If the factory replacement part will not start the compressor and the compressor windings indicate ' good', there could be a mechanical problem with the said compressor.......At this point in the game, I would install my 3-N-1 start tester ( 3-N-1 with an attached power cord ) and with a clamp-on amp meter to measure the amps as it tries to start.........Around 15 amps to start for about 1-2 seconds..........If the 3-N-1 cycles on its overload, the compressor is FUBAR.... In this part of the woods, a compressor replacement is going for about $500.00 to get you up and running.......That is if we can find you a replacement compressor...... But lettuce not jump the gun yet, measure the resistance of the windings, any good analog meter or D.M.M. will work to get the Ohms values............ My parts place is off line right now , I will see what there is for a replacement , if needed.........Keep us posted..................

#12 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

where would I find said winding checker thinger/clamp on amp meter? (novice here...not a tech- but might be after this!)

oh, and if we do need to replace the compressor... is that a "Blonde girl could do it" fix or "get a tech kinda" thing?

Edited by neehowhenhow, 02 June 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Housework RULES!

#13 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

You can purchase a 'Clamp-on' type amp. meter with a 'Digital Multi-Meter' at almost any Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes....Harbor freight......Will be good enough for these tests......The meter is multi function, so it will be used on all of your appliances needing electrical measuring.................You do not need to spend a fortune, I'm in the bizz so $500 for a Snap-On brand is possibly out of the equation........ After acquiring said tool, On the compressor there is three stubby pins, the same pins the you installed the start package, ( thermal overload and relay )... With the start package removed the three pins are measured for resistance.................I do not recall the position of the pins.............................A triangle shape with the single pin DOWN or UP.............measure the left pin to the single ( up/down ) pin, write down the resistance value...measure the right pin to the same single pin, write down the value......Measure the left pin to the right pin, write down the value............ If measured correctly, the third reading should be about the total of the first two readings.................The fourth measurement is any pin to a good ground/ bare metal area......If all these measurements are good, we are looking at possibly the need for a 3-N-1 Hard Start kit................The debate will rage on about the use of a hard start 3n1.........Chances are the compressor is failing....I use a 3n1 to get the compressor running till the moneies can be saved for compressor replacement.........The Part Number for your unit is, need to verify 'Serial Number' break...........P/N 3-11-068-0....is now P/N 7014067 .. List at $300.00, compressor only :woot: .............In this neck of the woods , the repair is about $600 to $650................You can see that using a 3n1 to get you going is the most economical for right now..... Check RepairClinic for a Supco 3-N-1 ......I have installed 3n1 start paks on units and still operating after a year........R-12 system..With all of the tools needed ( at about a thousand to start plus braze/silver solder the tubing... ), it is impractical , but not unheard of...........

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

if yolu have a HarborFreight store near you
item # 95683
print and take to store

normally $ 17.99
sale $ 13.99
image_7104.jpg

don't buy the model with the "pink" clamp

#15 neehowhenhow

neehowhenhow

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

How I hate to resurrect a thread- but I am still battling this thing. We have been without a freezer for some time. (3 months now?) with 5 kids... our diet doesn't call for frozen foods anyway- but it would be nice to have ice not from a bag. Plus, vodka is much better chilled. We are going to get that thinger listed above this weekend hopefully- I'll print out the info. Thanks for your help! (off to post yet another issue!)aaagh!
Housework RULES!

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

What's not running at this point: the compressor? the condenser fan motor? Also, post a summary list of the actions taken/parts replaced since starting this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics