Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Older GE top freezer wide temp swings

Model TBX21CI

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Curtacoma

Curtacoma

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

I recently bought this fridge for the garage (having elected not to fix my GE side by side again) and don't know much about it other than it has been used very little for a fridge built in 1997 - it's in absolutely perfect cosmetic condition. Plugged it in and it cooled right off to zero in the freezer and about 37 in the fridge. Seemed to cycle through ok for a couple of days in an 8 - 10 degree freezer range. After about 3 days I hadn't heard it run in a while, checked the freezer and it was nearly 40! I was thinking it was done cooling when it kicked on and cooled back down to near zero. Was fine again for a few days, then did the same thing. I'm sure I'm not catching it every time it suffers global warming but it appears to be fine for a couple of days, then does the big melt-up once before cooling off again and being fineagain for a while.

Hoping this is a very simple fridge, sure looks like it. Tried looking at parts but the link seems to be broken.

Thanks in advance for the help. Even if I end up calling someone it helps to have an idea what's going on before I head down that road.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

The Cold Control is sensing the Fridge temperature.
What is the temperature in your garage ?

TBX21CIxxxxx
depending on the missing (5) characters of your (23 different) model numbers,
this may be your Cold Control
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=311077

Temperature-Control-WR9X559--00568578.jp

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Curtacoma

Curtacoma

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

The fridge is actually inside at the moment, as we were using it as a backup for the failing GE side-by-side - until we figure out a permanent solution - so regular room temp. The full model number is TBX21CIZBRWW.

Thanks!

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

http://www.repaircli...er=TBX21CIZBRWW

The GMF did it again.
That is the correct cold control.

#5 Curtacoma

Curtacoma

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, will order it today, looks pretty easy to put in. Parts I can replace, I just don't have any diagnostic equipment or experience. If I knew for sure another bad board was why the side-by-side doesn't work I'd just replace that too, but its kind of a pricey part to be wrong on and replace needlessly. Ad I suppose it would just go bad again in 2 years anyway.

So this top freezer model in questions seems like a nice simple design. Is 1997 pre-motherboard-in-everything I hope? It's in such good condition I may end up leaving it i the kitchen for a while.

Thanks again for the help!

#6 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Start another post regarding the other refrigerator and we will help you diagnose it.

#7 Curtacoma

Curtacoma

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I did a couple of weeks ago, it's here: http://appliantology...631#entry230631

Replacing parts is within my capabilities, diagnosis not so much.........

#8 Curtacoma

Curtacoma

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

The cold control has arrived. I assume it goes somewhere behind the panel in the freezer? So looks like probably need to remove the ice maker first?
Hope this works, the problem is really intermittent - like maybe once a week or so (though it probably also happens a bit when I don't catch it).
Thanks!

#9 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

It is part #300 in this diagram and goes in the fresh food(beer) compartment.
Attached File  cold control.gif   24.8KB   5 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics