Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

ADB1200AWS Dishwasher - how to disassemble that thar round bottom thingy....?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Greetings and salutations! I replaced the latch on my dishwasher this evening. (Purchased from Repair Clinic! Delivered insanely fast! And yes, I did it my little own self. :banana: ) So far, so good.

Well, in the way that the leg bone is connected to the hip bone, I thought "Gee I should clean this ugly round thing here at the bottom because I can see food stuffs stuck all up in it." I got the lower spray arm off, and got the three screws out of the top of the.....er.....ehm.....round thing at the bottom where the food goes to die.....?

Trouble is, the water delivery arm that comes across the top of the round thing from the back.....how do I get that apart? I can see there's total (and stinky) gunk in the fin things of the round thing, so I'd like to give it all a nice scrubbing.

I found drawings of disassembling the motor and whatnot, but all those are AFTER the water delivery thing is out of the way and I cannot see how to get it apart. Well, not delicately anyway. I could get it apart if I wanted to. And then never wanted to use this dishwasher again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I promise that a donation to the beer fund will not be far behind. The Samurai and Company have helped me fix many small things.

Thanks so much!

Mrs. Rum

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hey Mrs Rum! There are 2 metal clips holding the water tube in place. One on the back of the tub and one on the top of the tub. Get your head in there and release the clips with a screwdriver or your fingernail. Once the tube is loose just move the whole thing to the side and slide it out of the "round thingy". There is one more screw underneath the water tube. Make sure you snap the tube back into the clips when you put it back together.

#3 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

<squeak!> YES! My hero! :kiss:

I took it apart all the way down to the motor. Scrubbed everything with Dawn and a toothbrush. I'm letting everything dry before I put it back together later today. The only thing I didn't realize is that when I soaked the bottom part of the "round thingy" - icky stuff migrated to the screen/filter things; and I don't think there's anything I can do. It doesn't come apart anymore than it is. I gave it some extra hot water and hope I melted a lot of it off.

Thank you Samurai and Company for your help! I have now fixed my (now retired) dryer, my ice maker, my dishwasher, my cooktop AND my range hood. And by "thank you" I really mean: thank you for taking my questions seriously, thank you for making me a kitchen appliance repair bad ass, thank you for helping me learn that these things aren't that scary if you're willing to try and to "listen". Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now cross your fingers that I put it back together and it works like a charm. :dazzler:

#4 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hi Santa! Here's my update! Thank you again! It will probably run tomorrow - in fact I'll cook a big enough meal that it will have to....just so I can try it out. :woot:

"Bada bing. Back together. I made sure the gasket on top of the motor wasn't scrunched up, I didn't overtighten stuff, I didn't have any leftover screws and I learned that the tube thiingy under the top rack sticks into the flapper in the back wall water delivery part. OH! I also learned that it *does* matter what orientation the motor goes back in. Get THAT right, and everything practically falls back into place. Again, my heartfelt thanks."

#5 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Your welcome Mrs Rum, glad it all worked out. If your feeling adventurous, I saw a recipe for "Dishwasher Salmon" on the food network the other day. Just think if you could cook all your meals in the dishwasher.

Edited by SANTA, 06 May 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

Clean as you go !
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

Uh yeah, I'll pass on that one.....it it were to go wrong I'd have to take it all apart again just to clean the smell out!

I'll keep the cooking to my two favorite appliances: my oven, and my Crock Pot. Neither of which have needed fixing! And my Crock Pot is my Mom's 1970's harvest gold. Still going strong.....

:yes:

#8 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Just in case: http://www.winexmaga...hwasher-salmon/

#9 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

New issue I'm afraid. The dishwasher is running beautifully! It even sounds better (if that's not dumb to say)........ BUT for some reason there's pukage from the front panel. Not huge, just about two/three consistent streaks down the front. I *think* it's condensation from the vent?

It's coming from under the control panel at the top of the decorative panel. One streak right down the middle, and one near the vent.

Any ideas? Did I miss something when I put the inside panel back on when I replaced the latch? Which is also working beautifully. All the lights work correctly and everything now!

Thanks so much!

Rachel

#10 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

You will have to take the door apart and have a look. You didn't try cooking the fish did you?

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

... You didn't try cooking the fish did you?

no, lobster :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#12 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

LOL!!! As tempted as I was....I didn't try cooking the fish. But the lobster, later this year. I've been threatening to dispatch a lobster for 15 years. This year is the year.

So, I take the door apart and look....for what? I thought I put the inside panel back on just like it came off. There aren't any gaskets or anything.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hi Mrs. Rum. Before you tear the door apart, check both the spray arms for gookus that may be lodged in the jet holes. Best to remove the spray arms and clean them out in the sink because some gookus can hide when the spray arms isn't actively spraying. The gookus can lodge in the spray arm holes during wash and redirect the water in weird ways that the dishwasher wasn't designed to handle. Try that and let us know.

#14 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

I'll be happy to try that. I cleaned the arms and related gookus when I took it apart last weekend but I'm happy to give it another go.

Well, wait....now that I think about it....I know I cleaned the bottom spray arm specifically but can't say that I did the top ones specifically. I'll try it!!

thanks!

#15 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Upper spray arms have been checked and declared to be gookus free upon removal. Rinsed out the one under the top rack, and discovered that the top one doesn't really do much does it? It just diverts the water. Interesting. Seriously, this dishwasher is no longer scary.

So, no gookus.

Next step? Take apart the door and check.....what? :thanks:

#16 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Try to locate the source of this "pukage" you mentioned. Check the foam seal around the vent. If you wiped it off and it didn't come back then don't worry about it.

#17 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

It came back. It's happened every time we've used it. It's not a deluge, it's definitely just a "run", a dribble if you will, right down the center of the front. I'll check the foam. :-)

And I guess if it's going to dribble - I'm going to quit giving it the good beer. Just sayin'.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

In accordance with the Prophecy, "All leaks are visual." When you disassemble the door, look for tell-tale trails of dried pukage. This will lead you to the source of the leak. Post some purdy pitchers so we can see, too. :dazzler:

#19 Mrs Rum

Mrs Rum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

I don't know how purdy the pitchers are, but here they are anyway. :blinky:

Pukage, seepage, leakage from the front:

Posted Image

Inside by the latch: Prophecy or no, all I can see is what looks like dried condensate on the black plastic thing at the bottom of the picture. Could that be the cause of my pukage?

Posted Image

I looked under the padding thingy (again with the technical terms eh?) and there is NO sign of anything on the back side of the steel panel. Zippity doo dah.

And again, thanks so much for the guidance. :)

Edited by Mrs Rum, 19 May 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#20 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

It looks like a water/detergent mixture originating from the vent area and working it's way over. Somehow the water is getting into the panel area from the vent seal. I hate to say it but take it apart again and give it a thorough inspection. Either that or a hairline crack in the door panel.

Edited by SANTA, 20 May 2012 - 12:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics