Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Subzero 550 - Cracked drain tube BS fridge - How to replace?

sub zero drain tube

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ksquared

ksquared

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yingling

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

We purchased a home 3 years ago that has a built-in subzero 550. The house was built in 1993 so I believe the 550 is also almost 20 years old. It has its issues with the ice maker sometimes not working, but we have a bar fridge downstairs that makes tons of ice, so not really a huge issue. About every 3 months we noticed that ice builds up on the back side of the veggie drawers where the pan and drain tube are. The drawers stickout further and further as the ice builds up until I absolutely have to remove the ice with a hair dryer.

A few times ago I figured maybe the tube was cracked as I could poor water down it and it would go to the lower pan under the freezer section. The problem is now I see that the plastic drain tube has a crack about half way around on the bottom. So all the water that gets collected on the back wall of the fridge ends up freezing in back of the drawers.

I'm pretty handy, but would like to have some insight before I try and tackle this project. First is it a standardized tube size that I can replace or will I have to order a subzero part. Secondly, how do i go about replacing it. It goes through the back wall of the fridge, but is it external on the back or is it internal behind the freezer. It looks like I may be able to remove the molding around the fridge and move it forward. If so, and it is external I may be able to replace very easily.

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ksquared

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ksquared

ksquared

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Anyone, Please help??

I have a part number 1601400 it is a 1/2" drain tube. Of course it has been discontinued. Now I have 2 questions. Is the drain tube just go out the back of the fridge portion and down the back, or is internal to a panel of some sort. Then when they specify a 1/2" x 72" tube is the 1/2" ID or OD. I was looking at just replacing with braided tubing, but not sure if the ID/OD will be the same. I may have to caulk around where it exits the back of the fridge.

Thanks,

Ksquared

#3 woftam

woftam

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Drain tube runs down back of unit. If water is freezing under drawers you have other problems. Even if water leaks under draws it shouldn't freeze in ref section. Insulation between ref and freezer is breaking down allowing floor of ref to get too cold. There is a heater kit for this problem. I will get part numbers for kit and hose tomorrow and post tomorrow when I get home.
There is a huge difference between 10 years experience and one years experience ten times over.

#4 woftam

woftam

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Sorry I took so long. Part number for floor heater kit is 4202530. I have same number for drain tube and it still available.
There is a huge difference between 10 years experience and one years experience ten times over.

#5 ksquared

ksquared

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

I wanted to post and let everyone know how this is fixed. First of all, the tube that was cracked is very hard to find, but 1/2" braided tube works well - we'll have to see how it holds up, but at least i know how to change a cracked tube now. The tube collects the condensation fro mthe back wall ofthe refridgerator and allows it to drain to the pan under the freezer section. The unit has to be pulled away from the opening. On the back out side of the fridge is a vertical full length panel held on by screws that needs to be removed. With this panel removed the tube is visable and easily replaced.

Another good find we had was as we took the freezer section drawer out we noticed the tremendous amount of frost buildup that was aparent. We defrosted it, but wondered why. We found outthe motor for the fan was running, but not fast enough to push cold air across the ice maker. The ice maker hasn't made ice in four years since we bought the house. After changing the fan, the ice maker started making ice and the temperature dial could be turned down lower and still kept everything frozen.

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics